2 Liter Pop Bottle Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottatron

Reaction score
So I have an idea to convert a pop bottle into a keg. There have been several topics on here and have read them all and I have a few questions.

I plan to carb the bottle with a carbonator cap like this: http://www.homebrewery.com/images/carbonatorcomp.jpg .
Or do something like in this video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJD0bv9kLAQ&feature=related]How to Make A Carbonation Cap - YouTube[/ame]

Also, I plan to serve the beer out of the same vessel with a tap of some sort. I'd rather not open the bottle to pour it out. Is there anyway I can convert one of the above to be able to serve beer out of the bottle? Like attach a tube to the homemade carbonating cap? Like something like this? http://hbd.org/cdp/3lkeg/top231l.jpg which is taken from this page: 3 Liter Pop Bottle Mini-Kegs

How does the above work exactly?

Thanks and any input is appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to add my question about what part I would connect my CO2 tank to in order to force beer out of the bottle.

You won't need a tap to serve 2 litres if you drink it all within several hours. You don't really lose much dissolved CO2 from pouring. If you can't drink it all then you can re-pressurize it at the end of the session. I've put a half bottle back in the fridge without re-pressurizing and it was still fine several days later.

You won't need a tap to serve 2 litres if you drink it all within several hours. You don't really lose much dissolved CO2 from pouring. If you can't drink it all then you can re-pressurize it at the end of the session. I've put a half bottle back in the fridge without re-pressurizing and it was still fine several days later.

Could I carb it up at like 25 PSI and then keep it attached to maintain pressure or do I carb it up at a specific PSI each time I open it?

Have you read any of the Tap A Draft (TAD) threads in the kegging section? If you want to use soda bottles, you could buy 3L soda bottles and then use a Tap A Draft tap. I have both the real 6L TAD bottles and 3L soda bottles and two TAD taps. Are there dollar stores in Canada? That is where we get our 3L bottles of soda here. I recently bought 6 and poured the soda out. For $6, I didn't feel bad about dumping it.

Could I carb it up at like 25 PSI and then keep it attached to maintain pressure or do I carb it up at a specific PSI each time I open it?

If you're going to hook it up and leave it hooked up then you should go by a chart...
Force Carbonation Chart - Kegerators.com

I use soda bottles to force carbonate a quick sample as I keg, which is usually 4-5 or 9-10 (if I'm busy) weeks after brewing. I'll hit them with as much as 50 PSI to start with. The best advice I can give you is to just start playing with it - you'll learn a lot quickly. The first thing you'll learn is that it's real easy to over-carbonate your beer. :) Oh, and try some flavored water and fruit juices too.

Back