2 gallon batch in 5 gallon bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phitz

Reaction score
So I’m doing a 2 gallon batch of Porter and fermenting it in 5 gal bucket. Used S04 as my yeast. Been 48 hours and no air lock activity?? Could this be because there is so much head space in the bucket? I’ve only done a couple 5 gallon batches using S05 and got plenty of activity in the air lock.

All else being equal, yes, it would take longer to see airlock activity with a 2 gallon batch than a 5 gallon batch, because of both the larger headspace and the fact that CO2 is being made at a lower rate.

I haven't done the math, but my hunch is that it wouldn't be too much longer.

Also, bucket lid seals are kind of notorious for leaking, bypassing airlocks. This can vary from batch to batch (i.e. between instances of sealing).

So it’s been almost a week and no activity. I used a NB kit bourbon barrel porter. As per instructions I used 1/2 of the S04 yeast packet. I did pitch it at 80 degrees. I also did not activate the yeast prior to adding to wort I added it from package. Room temp is around 62 degrees. What now. I am thinking of adding more yeast after “blooming” it. Suggestions?

Unfortunately I failed to take a gravity reading. If I take one now will it tell me anything? I am pretty confident the lid is on tight and the seal is good.

Unfortunately I failed to take one.

Take one now, and compare it to the recipe's OG. If your reading is much lower, that will tell you if fermentation has started (and perhaps finished).

I am pretty confident the lid is on tight and the seal is good.

Lots of new brewers assume that, and are surprised to find their fermentations have finished, in spite of "no activity."

Well I feel embarrassed to say that the lid was NOT on securely. Gravity reading was 1.020. Assuming I hit my OG of 1.063 should be in good shape. It tasted great as well. Live and learn! Thanks guys for your input much appreciated!

I've found with buckets that after a couple uses, the lids just don't seal tight enough to get much, if any, airlock activity. You can pull ~1ml samples with a pipette and track the change in Brix with a refractometer.

Different buckets with different lids all fit differently. Sometimes they get mixed up so the tolerances are all over the place so they leak quite a bit. The only thing I use buckets for anymore is grain storage. Some lids don’t even fit other manufacturers buckets.

If this sounds familiar, you can use some duct tape around the perimeter to seal it off temporarily.

It is bubbling away now! I’ve only used the buckets 2 times but I probably need to source a different fermentation vessel soon. I also need to be sure the lid is on all the way around! A 2” part of the rear of the bucket was not snapped on. 80 percent of the rest of the bucket was on tight.

I remember EdWort left his lids loose intentionally. Linked his youtube video below. I've done that several times with apfelwein to no ill effect. That was before a lot of the low oxygen and closed transfer emphasis...

I have a bunch of buckets and lids, none of which I use for fermenters. But one is used to keep mixed Starsan. Once I made the mistake of tipping it over (with the lid on). Despite that, I had Starsan gushing from under the "sealed" lid.

If liquid leaks, be assured gases do too.

Take gravity readings until the last 2 or 3 readings are the same. Then package. Don't rely on airlock activity to determine FG.

So I have added the bourbon and oak chips and will be bottling in the next week. I’m thinking I won’t need to transfer to bottling bucket since I am using fizz drops and the “sludge” seems to be far below the spigot. Thoughts?

So I have added the bourbon and oak chips and will be bottling in the next week. I’m thinking I won’t need to transfer to bottling bucket since I am using fizz drops and the “sludge” seems to be far below the spigot. Thoughts?

I see no reason to transfer this to a bottling bucket and two reasons not to... a slightly inceased risk of infection and a for sure increase in oxygen exposure.

Back