2 day fermentation lag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwitz

Reaction score
Did a brew on monday night, and now nearly two days after pitching its just barely starting to bubble and produce krausen. Its a blackrock Stout + lager +6lbs organic gabrius 2row, so we used two packets of the blackrock yeast. Im not surprised its taken so long to do anything, blackrocks yeast has proven to be pretty useless and its only 16C. Experience has shown me brews that lag this much tend to end up bad.

My plan today was to reboil to sterilise and throw some washed nottingham in, but im torn because it is doing something. :confused:

Any advice/experience would be great. Maybe i should throw some grain wash in there and do a full blown sour brew haha.

My plan today was to reboil to sterilise and throw some washed nottingham in, but im torn because it is doing something. :confused:
i would just sit tight. you did state that it's starting to produce a krausen... what was your OG? do you sanitize well? i guess you'll find out exactly how well you really do sanitize. sterile = no problem, half ass cleaning = bad news for you. if anything just rehydrate and throw the nottingham in.

i used 3 packets of nottingham for a scotch ale in december and it took 4 days (if i remember correctly) to start fermenting. it ends up a batch of notties were bad and they were a little bit late on getting that news out. point is the beer will take a while to age due to that lag, but it will probably taste fine. the scotch ale is actually in secondary after a nice stay in the barrel, and it tastes damn fine.

if you taste it and it tastes sour, then go to boiling to pasteurize and then pitch "bugs" like brett, pedio, lacto, etc. actually roselare is out this time of year! you can consider this time your sour mash, hahah.

btw, what is a stout + lager? are you lagering a stout? stout with lager yeast??

The original plan was to just do the stout kit my brother in law wanted to use and 5 pounds of pale malt and 1 pound of crystal 60. I was worried that was gonna be kinda weak so i chucked a blackrock lager kit in there as well. OG was in the 1.070 range. And the way we mashed the grain was pretty hilarious, i shoulda taken some pictures. And i guess it was a good call leaving it, its bubbling in a decent fashion now.

Back