1st wine kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to try a wine kit. I'm experienced with beer and mead, so i understand basic fermentation techniques. I am wondering how to make a wine kit product better? Any tips outside of following the directions to improve the quality.

Make a couple first, then work on altering the kits.
They are made to give a pretty good wine with no outside intervention, but a better wine can be had with practice.

RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Petite Sirah Kit.
Haven't started. need to make a little room first. The Oak they gave me is in this bag that resembles a coffee filter. except the oak bag isn't sealed in plastic or anything. It was just floating around inside the kit box. Do i need to soak or sanitize the oak? Should i dispose of that oak bag....

Instructions should say what to do with the oak. The kits I have used say to add it to the primary fermenter. You don't need to sanitize the oak.

The only thing I do differently from the instructions is I aerate for 45 seconds with an O2 tank and 2 micron stone since I have one for brewing. This gives a faster start and a more vigorous fermentation with quicker flocculation.

No experience with that type of oak, but I do have some advice for you... If you have a hard time waiting for your beer to be finished, don't try making wine right now.

From my experience, even the kits that say they are ready to drink in 30 days aren't. You're going to want to wait at least 30 days after bottling before trying a glass. Just like beer can taste "green" at first, so can wine... That's about the best advice I can give right now. Made a batch about two months ago and now that 2/3 of the batch has been drank, it is now tasting much better... wish I waited longer.

I don't have a problem waiting. I brew mead and that takes even longer than wine.... I need to make room to store a primary. I am bulk aging a few things in a smaller apartment and don't have room.
I was just wondering if there were some basic tips of things to tweak in order to improve results. I already planned on waiting 6-12 months before drinking.

Back