1st time wort aeration using stone...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
I used my oxygen tank/diffusion stone on my wort for the first time a few days ago. I have no clue how much I put in it. ran it for 2 minutes at various different levels as I experimented with it. Unless I had it turned way up, I could not see bubbles coming out. I just trusted that it was going in. 4 days later, it has been bubbling steadily for the last 3! Usually it just bubbled hard for a day or two max. Not sure what the result of this will be. Anybody have any sound advice on how to aerate the wort?

I turn mine up until I see a good amount of bubble, then adjust it down until the bubbles almost disappear from the surface completely. the point is to dissolve O2 into the wort, not just run it through. I usually don't use mine unless I have an OG around 1.065, otherwise I still use the "shake & bake" method. rdbrett, how did you sanitize your stone?

I have the oxygen kit from morebeer where the stone is attached to the hose with a flare fitting. After I'm done using it I keep it in a jar with isopropyl between uses. That works well for me.

You didn't say if you were using the little red can of O2 but if you are this is my practice(I am sure if someone with more exprience than me will correct me if I am wrong). I hold the stone closer to the surface so I can see the bubbles closely. The valve for those cans aren't the greatest, so you have to open it until you see bubbles really foaming up. Start to dial it back until it is bubbling but not foaming up the wort. At that point I start a one minute timer and drop the stone in and move it around the bucket. I read on here that you can over do it on the O2, so I go kinda consevative on it. Once done, I rinse then a quick dip in starsan and package it away until the next batch. My fermentations have been really good with this.

I've found the best way to sanitize a stone is to boil it. I won't risk injecting any kind of infection into my unfermented wort. after reattaching the stone to the hose, I dip it in sanitizing solution.

I boiled it. And use a little red tank of O2. My fermenation has been bubbling for 4 days now. Maybe 5. Thats longer than normal for me.

What temperature are you fermenting at? Are you controlling your temps better now than on previous batches?

Back