1st time with Co2 injection kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Falconer

Reaction score
hi guys my ale is still in the fermentation stage (for anotherfew days) just wondering when it comes to moving to barrel when is the best time to add the Co2 canesters and how many to add? (the canisters are about 2-3 inches tall, if you add them at the start will they change the process?

ive gone for a light coloured ale and want it fairly fizzy and crisp this is about my 5th time of brewing i also find thatthekits that pre mix the sugar for you give much better results.

any advice will be much apreachated, many thanks
Lord F.

I'd wait until it has been in the keg 2-3 weeks.

Hard to know how many. There are three weights (8, 12, 16 gm) of CO2 canisters around 2-3 inches tall.

Are you using a proper keg or a pressure barrel? If it is the latter than I was told to add the CO2 when the pressure gets so low it won't pour anything out the tap. If you try and add extra while it already has pressure the release valve will kick in and you waste your CO2. Although I have two pressure barrels I have decided to bottle instead to get a proper carbination.

The CO2 in these cartridges will no carbonate. You need to prime for that. The Cos is just to give enough pressure to keep the carbonation and help you serve the pint.

Latest posts

Back