1st time washing yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
Im racking to my secondary and have decided to start reusing my yeast. So far I have boiled 5 jars for small ones and one large one for 15 mins.
I pulled the jars out with the boiling water in them. Now they are cooling in the fridge.
Am I good so far???

Next step is to pour the water from the jars into the carboy and then back into the jars correct? Then in the fridge they go.

For the most part, but you'll want to have the same amount of big jars as small next time. Add the boiled water from your jars to the yeast, mix well and let sit 15-30 minutes. Slowly decant into the large jars being carefull to leave the heavier trub undisturbed on the bottom. Let the big jars rest 15-30 minute then decant the same way into the small jars. You should be good to go.
Be careful not to get any on the rims of the jars or clean it up as soon as you have them capped. Mold is not cool.

It's just like when you learned to brew. Just do it.. if you make a mistake or don't get the great result oh well, then do it again next time, and the time after that, soon it will become so easy it just becomes part of your process.

I like useing a couple of gallon pickle jars as my settling vessels before I fill my mason jars. That way I am hopefully leaving the settled out trub behind. But some trub gets through to the mason jars and so be it, the yeast will survive.

Sorry to Hijack the thread but I have a similar question... I usually make 3 gallon batches. I am going to rack some ESB into secondary and wash the yeast for the first time. I was thinking of using 2 quart bottles and 4 pints. Is that ok or would something like a quart and 4 half pint jars work. I think I can round up either size. Thanks.

Sorry to Hijack the thread but I have a similar question... I usually make 3 gallon batches. I am going to rack some ESB into secondary and wash the yeast for the first time. I was thinking of using 2 quart bottles and 4 pints. Is that ok or would something like a quart and 4 half pint jars work. I think I can round up either size. Thanks.

4 quart bottles and four pints.

Back