1st time using FERMENTAP counter pressure bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmcdowell

Reaction score
I'm a recent home brewer with three partial mash extract brews under my belt. The first two went quick on the corny keg (5 gal each batch) but this last one we decided to bottle (some) to share on a recent outing.

Please note- the first two were clearly green but drinkable- so we drank them! We're trying to split batches to stock pile beer to mature while enjoying the fruits of our labor versus $7.50+ six packs while brewing (welcome to Montana)

I purchased the fermentap counter filler at my local brew store with the accessory kit (hoses and connectors). The directions were generally vague and after about 5 excessively foamy beers bottles only half full, I re-read Dave Millers's Homebrewing Guide on counterfilling bottles from the keg and things started flowing like a cold draft of beer!

With the fermentap system- you use the dial a pressure bleeder valve to both bleed air and CO2 from the bottle and adjust the rate of filling. I didn't get that at first. In Dave Millers book- the Fermentap system is the second system described with a bleed valve on the lower section of the counter filler near the stopper.

Step 1. Insert wand into bottle. Press stopper into bottle firmly. (I actually lost it bottling a beer thinking it was in the bottle! It slides off if not careful. Picture looking into a capped beer trying to find the stopper floating)
Step 2. Turn valve to CO2 to fill bottle. When audible filling stops turn off valve.
Step 3. Bleed air out of bottle by turning bleed valve on lower assembly above stopper (the round thing screws on and off to adjust pressure).
Step. Repeat step 2 and 3.
Step 4. Re-pressurize bottle (turn valve to CO2 until noise stops) and then (slowly with experience) turn valve to beer side fully.
NOTE- no beer will fill the bottle because the pressure is equalized (probably).
Step 5. Slowly open the bleeder valve to let beer into the bottle and CO2 out. Fill bottle to stopper and close bleeder valve first and then IMPORTANT- close the beer/CO2 valve at the top (Otherwise beer keep coming out everywhere!).
Step 6. Wait a moment and fit capper with cap before pulling out counter pressure filler from bottle. (note-I hung the counterpressure filler from my sanitizer bucket)
Step 7. Pull out counter filler and hang in bucket while moving bottle to capper. You'd be surprised at how LITTLE foam comes out if done correctly AND timely.
Step 8. Cap bottle, checking for any leaks-

Repeat at least 5 more times or more...:)

My wife was helping initially and was totally bummed with the initial outcome/foamy loss of perfectly good beer all over the floor. I persisted and thanks to Dave Miller's book was able to increasingly bottle the beer without loss. I now have three six packs of increasingly full bottles sitting in the fridge:)

Some Beer info:

The beer was in my tap fridge at about 45 deg F and the bottles were sanitized with Star San prior to bottling as was the caps (and counter filler). I carbonated the beer for 4 days at 12 psi (at 45 deg F isn) and upped the CO2 to 15 psi for bottling.

I brewed a partial mash Fuller's ESB clone that is aging nicely (not that it will last that long). I primaried for 7 days @ 68 deg F, racked to secondary for 14 days @ 68 deg F, then crash cooled for 4 days at near freezing before transferring to a corny keg and conditioning under pressure at 45 deg F. The beer is still a little hazy but conditioning quickly and still tasty.

After the initial mess and learning curve- I am pleased with the Fermentap Counter Filler system. I would recommend it to others and look forward to bottling more beer than I currently buy!

SO FYI- The first time- plan on a beer mess. Fill bottles in an area where getting things wet is ok. I kept the corny keg in the fridge while bottling with the door cracked open to let the hoses out.

-JC
keggle brew house on propane, counter chilled with Blichman terminator (highly recommend!). Can barely brew 5 gal batches (moved thermometers lower to read 5 gal batches). Moving to all grain in 2 more batches (on shelf) and 10 gal batches. Old speckled hen next....

I personally am not impressed with most of Fermentap products so I would be reluctant to spend this much money on it. Their crappy CO2 regulators and junk thermometers that can't be calibrated come to mind first. I've had nothing but problems with them, maybe I am just unlucky... or maybe they make junk. Who knows.

Looks like you got this one working for yourself though. Good job!

I also just tried this for the first time... and it come out awful. It was all foam everywhere. I am not exactly following your directions other than it sounds like it required a lot of tinkering on every single bottle.

I've seen videos of people using these in a production environment and they are not adjusting with the pressure release valve at all. They open the valve to fill with co2 for a few seconds, then switch to beer, then off, then remove - I.e. how you think this product should work when dialed in, but I haven't figured out how to get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cam back from a few weeks away and wanted to fill a growler and a few bottles for T-day at friends. While I was away, the CO2 was a little high and hit 15psi.

The beer came out foamy just trying to pour it from the tap. I depressurized, waited a couple of hours and tried to fill the growler and bottles (pre chilled) but it was a awful foamy mess. As soon as I got the bottles filled nice and neat. It would foam all over the place when I released the stopper.

I think if the beer will pour out nice from a keg it would probably fill all right.

I did try just setting the pressure release valve at one setting and using the valves only and it seemed to work.

I also found out I was near then bottom of the corny. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I have a pale ale on tap now I'll try again....

I built the DIY counter filler described in the link. I bottled 18 beers with it pretty well. The first 6 was a near freezing sweet milk stout. I went slow and I had a minimum of foaming. I also topped off each bottle as I went. I did put the bottles outside (10 degrees) to 'chill' before bottling. It was about 65 degrees in side.

I purged the corny keg first. Then dropped the PSI to about 5. I slowly filled the bottles and waited a moment before removing the stopper when full (closing picnic tap first). I then added a little more (mostly foam)with the dip tube still slightly in the beer.

The second 12 beers I bottled from a pale ale that was in the kegerator. Not near as cold as the milk stout. I also tried topping off several at once and just got a lot of foam and more waste. After that I topped off one at a time and capped them before starting on a new bottle.

NOW- I would increase the PSI before bottle the day before. I read to 18 PSI the night before bottling. I think it needs more PSI to compensate for the carbonation lost.

IN a perfect world, I might do OK bottling if I were in a walk-in freezer. Otherwise I'll keep trying.

I do want to know how the guy in the video can bottle 3 at a time in shorts with a keg with no coolant or insulation on it? And bottles at room temp. Super hi PSI and warm beer at outdoor temp?

Inquiring minds want to know. Only 8,976 more things to learn (today).

OK, I replaced the Fermentap counter filler beer line with 3/16 ID line-about 8'. We'll see if that helps hold down the foaming next time I bottle.

I replaced the lines on my kegerator with about the same and it seems to work very well. I have Old Speckled Hen on tap at 46 degrees F and about 14psi. Higher than english ales but to my liking.

I'll report back next time I bottle.

Latest posts

Back