1st time germinating barley - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desecrator

Reaction score
Hello all,

I haven't done an all-grain brew before and its difficult to get malted grain where I live so I am malting the barley myself.

I have seen video's on youtube and read a couple of webpages on how to do it.

I soaked my grain for 3 hours in water, drained it then let it sit for 8 hours.
I did that 3 times and the barley began to chit.
It has now been germinating for about 2.5 days but it has a strong smell, like a mix of yeast and vinegar but more vinegar.

I am germinating about 11lb (5kg) of barley and have it in a big cooking pot.
Instead of trying to stir all of it, i have been transferring it between the pot and a bucket.
I have been transferring it every 4 to 6 hours and the temperature in the pot/bucket is about 72F (22C).

Is there anything wrong with the barley?
Do you have any tips or idea's i should try?

All help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Unfortunately it sounds as if your current batch has started to "rot". I believe it is too hot and I suspect having it in a pot allows it to create even more heat.

If you cannot keep the temperature lower, say in the 50sF, then try adding a small amount of iodophor, bleach or hydrogen peroxide to the water you are using.

Also after it chits you need to get it spread out somehow, like on a cement floor or in some hoards so it will dissipate heat, there is alot of info here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happiness-home-malting-107409/
Let us know if you have any other questions,

Keep on malting my friend:mug:

Thanks for the help.

I had to dump it.
O well, its how most of us learn.

I have started a new batch and using some of the tips from the link you posted, so I hope it all works out this time.

Thanks,

Back