1st steeping grain attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randolf

Reaction score
Hey Brewmasters,
Got a few questions for yez. In a few weeks,I'm going to be brewing up my "Summer Ale". I use 7lbs Xtra Lt. LME,2 oz. Glacier Hops,and Saf-05. I brewed this last year and it turned out great,But,I would like to give it some more body,so I need sugestions of what kind,how much,what temp.,and how long for the steeping process.I only have a small kitchen with a gas range,to heat the water,so I can't use a big pot.My LHBS has bags of Carlson grains,so I could buy a pound if needed.Can I crush it with a rolling pin? I'd like this procedure to run as smooth as I can,so the least steps I have the less chance I'll trip.Thanx in advance.....Randolf

I have to say,after using both muslin grain socks & nylon paint strainer bags,The nylon paint strainer bags are best. On large enough to roll over the lip of the BK works great for being able to stir the mash/steeping grains to prevent dough balls & get higher efficiency.
Steeping is good at 150-165F. The amount of water in steeping isn't critical as in mashing. The amount of specialty or crystal grains depends on how much color,flavor,mouth feel you want. With some,a little goes a long way. Esspecially with the darker grains.
I get my grains crushed from midwest,but the crush isn't always that good.And a finer crush is needed for biab anyway. So I use this old mini food processor to crush them further. 3 pulses of 2 seconds each seems to work well.

Hi Randolf,
I assume you don't want to change the color of your beer much, so steeping 1/2 lb of a light crystal malt(c20) will add some flavor complexity without changing color much. If you can mash, then 1/2 lb of flaked oats are good for extra body. You do need to mash them with a grain with extra diastatic power, so 1/2 lb of base malt, or wheat malt would be needed. As you probably know, mashing for low amounts of grain can be as simple as steeping, you just have to do your best to maintain a temp. of around 150 for 30-60 min.
I get my base grains crushed by the store, but I have quite a variety of specialty grains on hand. Those(sometimes as much as 2-3 lbs) I put in gallon ziplocks and crush with a rolling pin. Works pretty well, although I sure wouldn't want to do it for a 10lb grain bill!

Back