Partial Mash/Steeping grain with extract water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
I'm brewing a partial mash/steeping grain with extract version of one of my favorite AG recipes tomorrow. Wondering if I should add minerals to the water for the partial mash/steep portion or if I should just roll with the water as is? Recipe :

3G batch, OG 1.057, 70% eff

2# Golden Light DME
1.625 # Rye Malt
1.0625# Biscuit Malt
.375 Chocolate Malt 350 L
.25# Cara 60

Initial plan is to mash/steep the grains in 2G of Deer Park bottled water for 60 min. "Sparge" with an additional 2ish G of the same water to get up to boil volume, then add the DME and boil for 1hr. I put my water profile and other details into Brun' water and got some initial values, but I'm wondering do I really need to do this? According to the spreadsheet, the bottled water I'm using will provide the target 5.4 pH in the mash with no mineral additions. So my assumption is the minerals will just contribute to the flavor profile? AmI better off to just use the water as is?

Proposed Mash mineral additions:
Gypsum 0.2g
CaCl2 0.2g
Epsom Salt 0.6g
Canning Salt 0.4g
Pickling Lime 0.1g

Thanks in advance!

You will want to make adjustments (if any) to the water to set up a good mash.

You can also add salts (typically, just CaCl and/or CaS04) for flavor adjustments.

With flavor adjustments, the "unknown" here is the mineral content in the DME. On the "Instructions" tab of the Bru'n Water spreadsheet, there is a "Special Considerations for Extract Brewers" section (it's at row 140 in the v 1.25 download), which has some guidelines and insights.

Back