1st recipe help - Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Goldstein

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any input you might have for my first recipe attempt. Making a beer in honor of my daughter's upcoming Bat Mitzvah. Thinking of basically a Belgian Dubbel with some chocolate notes, and more flowery notes than you'd typically get from this style. My daughter has dark brown hair, loves fresh bread, chocolate and coffee flavors, and is very artsy so I thought a Belgian style with all of the yeast notes would work well for her.

Grains
10 lb Pilsner
0.2 lb Chocolate malt
0.5 lb Caramunich
1 lb D90 Candi Syrup (add for last 5 mins of boil)

Hops
1 oz Perle (90 min)
1 oz Hallertau Blanc (whirlpool)
Possibly dry hop with more Hallertau Blanc

Yeast
WLP 530, with a 1L starter (0.75 pitch rate)

Mash: 152F

Pitch at 65 F, raise 2 deg per day up to 79 F over 7 days

I'm calculating 20 IBU's, 0.34 BU:GU, OF=1.057, FG=1.013, SRM=19

Thanks for any input!

Dubbels are max. 17 SRM, so yours is kind of dark, but as long as you are not a stickler for guidelines or you are not going to compete with that beer, you should be fine.

I would however not dry hop a Dubbel. A Dubbel, more than most similar styles, is a showcase of yeast and malts and not hops, which are used, only to achieve a subtle/somewhat subdued bitterness.

It sounds quite tasty. The SRM of the BJCP guidelines are kind of off anyway, many classic examples are more than 17, like Westmalle Dubbel, which appears almost black with ruby highlights, so I wouldn't worry about it. The dry hopping would be out of style, but would probably also be good, so it's up to you about how much you want to follow style guidelines.

Back