1st Partial Mash (who knew?!!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djhead

Reaction score
Hello. For those I do not know, (should constitute just about everyone) my name is Daniel. I am a soldier stationed over in Ft Hood, Texas. I have been brewing (extracts and no-boils) for about 8 months now. I am going to relay, to the best of my ability, my very first partial mash experience, concluded abuot 20 minutes ago.

First, some disclaimers:
- I am on crutches from a nasty motorcycle wreck, this hindered my mobilities somewhat.
- I brewed alone. (what is a?) my SWBMO?? was away for the week
- I made many mistakes, some I will admit to, others, I hope you will point out so I may learn from them.
- By now I am a bit ****faced off of my blarg batch of bockbier (if you could call it that)

I received my missing yeast this afternoon at 3 o clock, and immediately smacked the pack of Wyeast 1005 German Ale, and set it in the fridge.
In the meantime I set out about warming two pots of water (2 gallons 180 degree sparge and 5 quarts 168 degree mash water.
Time passes and I see the yeast packet rising, signalling a "GO" to me, so I tie the grains in the provided muslin bag. Maintaining a steeping temp of 152-ish, i soak the bag for an hour, checking temp and stirring the bag/liquid every ten minutes. By now the house is filled with the amazingly sweet aroma of steeping grain. I am in awe.

When I go to move the bag into my collander for sparging, it sticks...... the bag has burnt to the bottom of the pot. After some scrambling, an spatula-ing, the bag releases, along with maybe 1/8 of its grain-guts, which i leave in the bottom of the pot, thinking it harmless.

I then sparge with 2 gallons of 180 degree water, bring the wort to a boil, and mix in my dry malt and a packet and a half of German Spaltz hops. (maybe 1.5 oz)

I boil for 45 min, stirring regularly before adding my 4 lbs of liquid malt and the rest of the hops packet, which i then stir, return to boil, and let cook for another 15 min.

I then took the pot of wort and placed it in an ice water bath, cooling to room temp (about 70 degrees).

I then added the wort to my primary, added my pitched yeast, and rocked the bucket back and forth on a skateboard, while covered without an airlock.

After 10 minutes of rocking out, I added an airlock and set it in a homemade evap cooler with a reg temp of 70-ish, where it sits now.

- When placing the airlock in the fermenter, the gasket punched out, and fell in. I saw no choice but to stick my sanitized hand in and get it back.

- Did leaving the burnt muslin bag portion in the pot, was that a bad idea?
-What about leaving the grain-guts?

and the kicker-------
My wife neglected to tell me that my thermometer had a protective sheath, which I discovered at the end, which insulated my readings by 10 degrees. Meaning my temps were hotter than I thought (thus the burnt bag)

How bad is my brew gonna be?

I finish with saying that I feel born again. Brewing extracts is NOTHING compared to the zen satisfaction I felt after todays 8+ jour brew session. After breathing in the hops, and the fresh wort, all beer tastes different now, even my own extract concoctions. Good or bad, this batch is mine, and I WILL NEVER DO ANYTHING LESS THAN PM AGAIN!!!!!
Thanks for your input!!!

SG - 1.060

Congrats on your first PM... RDWHAHB.. it get easier :)

I would have strained (very gently) my wort ointo another pot, to get the grains out and the burnt bag. You might get some off flavors.

Also... did you leave the yeast in the fridge the whole time? Once you smacked it... it should have been left out at room temp to expand.

But again.... RDWHAHB :) all will be well.

okie dokie! congrats on your first PM. Sounds a bit like mine, which is, to date, the only batch I've ever dumped.

The burned bottom of the bag, with the grains, was that in your brew kettle? I wasn't clear which vessle you sparged into, I presume the one with the grain stuff at the bottom.

Those temps (boils) will produce some 'interesting' tastes with grains still in there.

The best thing you can do for yourself is build a 3 gallon victory cooler mash tun. I did, cost me about $50 total, and its GREAT for mashing. I'm so happy I have one, it has made my partial mash beers GOOD.

Once I smacked the yeast, I left it out. It didn't get all puffy like a popcorn bag, but it did expand a bit.

Producing off flavors doesn't sound good. How bad're we talking here?
Natural Light bad, or Steel Reserve bad?

(edit: Hey, I'm from Phoenix originally, brother!)

The important thing is to just leave it alone for a while; aging cures most ales (excuse the pun) and should take care of a lot of off flavors. If your first bottle (or sample from secondary/late primary) isn't very good, make sure to leave it for a month or two before even considering dumping it.

Good luck with your brewing!

24 hours later, and the Primary is bubbling away happily. This in turn makes me happy. All will be well. Even my off-tasting bock from a few months back is tasting pretty good right now.

Life is good, beer is good!

I am actually in 3rd ACR brother. I have a cousin in 4ID, and a bunch of old colleagues all over post (Engineers are a small bunch)

Back