1st Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
20190926_175800.jpg I brewed my very first Lager in march. I brewed an Oktoberfest and kegged it on April 2nd and planned on lagering until Sept. 21st. I was a little leary of leaving in a keg for 5 months but it was worth the wait. Had our Oktoberfest party and the beer was a hit . It has such a nice clean flavor , I'm very happy with this beer.

Congratulations on your success! It would be interesting to compare your next batch of Oktoberfest on a shortened schedule (gelatin fined and kept cold near freezing). I have brewed many lagers using this method with great results but have never tested the traditional method.

I make them all the time, but haven't aged them no where near that long. Maybe I will finally put my new 3 gallon keg to use. My favourite style of beer hands down.

It was tough leaving it alone for 5 months . I'm not sure if it makes a difference lagering less . I would have to try it once a month and keep a record of how it changes . I never use gelatin . After 5 months this beer is really clear and nice copper color . I need to go get a sam Adam's ofest and do a side by side .

It was tough leaving it alone for 5 months . I'm not sure if it makes a difference lagering less . I would have to try it once a month and keep a record of how it changes . I never use gelatin . After 5 months this beer is really clear and nice copper color . I need to go get a sam Adam's ofest and do a side by side .
I think a better test would be Sierra Nevada for a traditional Octoberfest. SA is not made with German yeasts (as far as I know) and tends to be sweet and more American if that makes sense. If you want to compare, find a good German version.

I wouldn't consider Sierra Nevada a traditional Oktoberfest beer either. Look for Ayinger, Erdinger, Hofbrauhaus, and for a March brewed Oktoberfest beer there's Spatan Oktoberfest.

I think a better test would be Sierra Nevada for a traditional Octoberfest. SA is not made with German yeasts (as far as I know) and tends to be sweet and more American if that makes sense. If you want to compare, find a good German version.

Sam's uses a portion of crystal for sweetness in the Winter Lager seasonal and in the Octoberfest recipes. It's still good beer but different from the German versions.
A German import beer available this time of year is the Paulaner O-fest Marzen. I plan to try a six of this on the side while I polish off a couple cases of lighter-colored "free" Weihenstephaner Oktoberfest beer I bought with a giftcard someone gave me.

Back