1st mead: stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
On 9/7/16, I made Joe's Ancient Orange Mead. There was slow bubbling during the first weeks, but nothing crazy. Transferred it today & the gravity is 1.086. It's supposed to be a quick mead. Should I just give it time? Should I add some yeast? Also, there's a little head space now that I removed the oranges, raisins & cinnamon. Should I add some honey & water to top off the batch? Any help is appreciated.

You screwed up somewhere. The JAOM is foolproof if you follow the recipe EXACTLY. The pic in my avatar is a JAOM at 35 days. At 65-70 days the fruit falls and the mead is finished.

Did you change anything at all in the recipe? How much honey, and what size is the batch?

edit: Headspace is not an issue with this.

Maybe the yeast was too old? Also, my basement is usually 62 degrees. I'll try to add some fresh yeast & bring it upstairs.

Are you confident that you know how to read your hydrometer? What if you put your hydrometer in some plain water - what reading does it show?

I can read it. I just brewed last weekend & hit my numbers. I added some more yeast to the mead & moved it to an upstairs closet.

Back