1st IPA - Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samie85

Reaction score
Okay let me know if this IPA recipe is alright. I'm not sure about the flaked barley or the yeast so fire away...

6 lbs. Northern Brewer Gold Malt Liquid Extract Syrup
2 lbs. American Crystal 40L
1 lb Flaked Barley

1 oz. Northern Brewer 60 min
1 oz. Cascade ea. @ 15, 10, and 5 min.

Safale S-33 Dry yeast

I plugged it into beer calculus and it's saying it should be around 59 IBU and a starting gravity of 1.058. My intention with the flaked barley was to contribute a smooth mouthfeel.

2 lbs of crystal? Woah. You should tone that down to 12oz or so. I'd only use 8oz flaked barley as well. I'd probably add a lb of Munich or maybe a lb or two of Vienna. Should be good and delicious then. I'd also probably recommend DME instead of LME, but that's a personal preference.

Maybe take a pinch of each of the cascade additions and put it in a flame-out addition. That, or maybe remove the 10 minute addition and change it to a 0 minute flame-out. You could also consider dry-hopping with an extra oz or so. That, or take a pinch from each addition and keep it for dry-hopping. Just some thoughts.

Maybe take a pinch of each of the cascade additions and put it in a flame-out addition. That, or maybe remove the 10 minute addition and change it to a 0 minute flame-out. You could also consider dry-hopping with an extra oz or so. That, or take a pinch from each addition and keep it for dry-hopping. Just some thoughts.

Yeah, I was thinking about changing up the hop schedule a little and doing a flame-out addition. I just dry-hopped an amber I brewed, so I just wanted to keep it simpler this time. I'll think about it though.

2 lbs of crystal? Woah. You should tone that down to 12oz or so. I'd only use 8oz flaked barley as well. I'd probably add a lb of Munich or maybe a lb or two of Vienna. Should be good and delicious then. I'd also probably recommend DME instead of LME, but that's a personal preference.

Yeah, I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to recipe formulation. Why do you think 2lbs. of Caramel 40 is too much? I'm just curious to know for my continued beer knowledge. I was trying to keep everything in units of even lbs. mostly I order my ingredients online and I haven't purchased a scale to weigh out ingredients yet.

Yeah, I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to recipe formulation. Why do you think 2lbs. of Caramel 40 is too much? I'm just curious to know for my continued beer knowledge. I was trying to keep everything in units of even lbs. mostly I order my ingredients online and I haven't purchased a scale to weigh out ingredients yet.

You can buy ingredients by weight. In fact, I think that's the only way you can buy them. http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/ is my favorite place to go to for recipes besides my LHBS. They weigh it for you and everything (mash it too if you want), so you don't need to worry about a scale. 2 lbs caramel just seems like too much; I can't give the best explanation, but I'm sure others could give you a good answer. If you want to stick with weight by lbs, I'd just make it a pound of 40 and either a pound of Munich or two pounds of Vienna to go with it.

You can buy ingredients by weight. In fact, I think that's the only way you can buy them. http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/ is my favorite place to go to for recipes besides my LHBS. They weigh it for you and everything (mash it too if you want), so you don't need to worry about a scale. 2 lbs caramel just seems like too much; I can't give the best explanation, but I'm sure others could give you a good answer. If you want to stick with weight by lbs, I'd just make it a pound of 40 and either a pound of Munich or two pounds of Vienna to go with it.

Yeah, I was trying to stick with Northern Brewer as their Liquid Malt Extract is cheap as hell, and their hops are pretty reasonable as well(the malt extract comes in 6 lb. or 3.15 lb increments). I'm trying to go with one company to avoid getting hit with multiple shipping charges too.

I too would do 1 lb of the crystal malt. I would not, though, add Munich or Vienna to your steeping grains. If you were doing a partial mash, I would consider it, but not as a steeping grain.

I like your hop schedule.

Your yeast selection is interesting, though. I've never used the s-33 so am not speaking from personal experience. My understandng is that this strain imparts Belgian characteristics, like a White Labs 400. If that understanding is correct, I would consider another yeast, unless you are looking to brew a Belgian-style beer.

For an IPA, a more standard choice would be US-04 for an english style IPA or US-05 for an american style.

Cheers!

I would add more malt extract and cut the crystal down some.

Like 9 lbs of LME & 1.5 lbs of crystal 40

Also a full lb of flaked barley sounds like a lot. I'd go with just a tiny bit like .25 lb.

And use the US-05 yeast or WLP001 or Wyeast 1056.

I' cut the C40L to 8 oz (just approximate by splitting a pound into two piles) and ditch the flaked barley. 2 lbs of C40L would make the beer too sweet and flaked barley has to be mashed.

Since this is closest to an APA, US-05 is a better choice of yeast.

I too would do 1 lb of the crystal malt. I would not, though, add Munich or Vienna to your steeping grains. If you were doing a partial mash, I would consider it, but not as a steeping grain.

Your yeast selection is interesting, though. I've never used the s-33 so am not speaking from personal experience. My understandng is that this strain imparts Belgian characteristics, like a White Labs 400. If that understanding is correct, I would consider another yeast, unless you are looking to brew a Belgian-style beer.

For an IPA, a more standard choice would be US-04 for an english style IPA or US-05 for an american style.

Cheers!

Yeah, I realized this after looking at a different website for the yeast. The first website just said that it had a medium to high flocculation and could be used for ales. So I figured "why not". I am just going to use US-05 now.

Cheers!

Haha, yeah sorry, I was thinking of more of a partial mash than extract. They seem practically the same to me, but then again- I've never done an extract batch (only partial mash)

Latest posts

Back