1st full boil high og ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhbarc

Reaction score
I brewed my first full boil batch last night in my new 34 qt kettle. This is the recipe I used. DEFALCO'S HEFEWEIZEN (WHEAT BEER) RECIPE
Pale gold, slightly bready. Low hop bite & flavor yields an effervescent, thirst quenching beer. Over-tones of bananas & cloves w/wheat yeast.
O.G. - 1.047 F.G. - 1.012

INGREDIENTS:
6 lbs. wheat malt extract
1/2 lb. wheat malt grain
1/2 lb. two-row pale malt
1/4 lb. cara-pils malt
1 oz. Hallertauer hops (bitter)
No flavoring or finishing hops!
Yeast: Dried - 1 pkg. Munich or Safbrew WB-06 yeast
Liquid - White Labs Hefeweizen WLP 300 or Hefeweizen IV or Wyeast #3068, #3056, #3333
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
3/4 cup corn sugar (priming)

The target OG was 1.047 my actual OG was 1.053. This only my 3rd batch and with the previous 2 I nailed the OG. I followed De Falco's Directions with the only difference being I "sparged" by bringing 5 gallons of water to 168 deg and tea bagging the grains. After tea bagging I added the steeping water from the steeping pot and brought the 6 gallons to a boil before adding the LME.

(1. In a small saucepan, bring a gallon of water to 160º - 170º and turn off the heat. Add the bag of grains and water salts (if used) and steep 30 minutes. Now, gently sparge (rinse) the grains with hot tap water (ideal temperature 168º) and bring the total volume up to two or more gallons in a stainless steel or enameled kettle (avoid aluminum). As a rule, boiling as much of the full five gallons as possible is best. Bring to boil and resume step #2.

2. Turn off heat and add malt extract. Return to boil, taking care not to allow wort to overflow onto your stovetop. Start timing now, continuing the boil for 5 minutes. Add the bittering hops (1 oz. Hallertauer) and boil 60 minutes. Please note that this recipe contains no flavoring or finishing hops. At the end of the hour boil, turn off heat.)

I get 1.051 in my calculator. Stepping 2 row probably didn't get you much fermentable sugar, but at a half pound that probably doesn't matter.

I just bought Beer Smith and ran the recipe. Beer Smith suggest 1.050 OG I got 1.053. Is .03/.02 any thing to be concerned about?

Kudos on a good Hefe in the works :) I'm brewing a Hefe this afternoon myself...

6lbs wheat malt
3.5lbs two-row pilsner malt
Hallertauer hops to a 12.0 ibu
1lb honey
1oz sweet organe peel at 5 mins...
wlp-300 hefe yeast

plus, with temp correction, volume measurement, and human error reading the hydro, you're probably dead on. extract brewing doesn't really miss on OG, as the majority of your sugar is already converted in the extract.

Back