1st extract IPA recipe help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean99

Reaction score
This is my first (semi) original IPA recipe. I've previously only done kits and a few simple recipes. It's based on a few different recipes I found on the web. Does this look O.K.? I wasn't sure about adding the crystal 40 and sugar or honey.

5 gallons
7lbs. extra light DME
.5 lbs. crystal 40?
.5 lbs honey or sugar?

.5 oz. magnum 60 min.
1 oz. Mosaic 10 min
1 oz. Galaxy 5 min.
1 oz. Mosaic 5 min.
2 oz. galaxy 2 min.
2 oz mosaic 2 min.

Yeast: US-04

Dry hop 1 oz. mosaic and 1oz galaxy for 5 days

Brewers friend calculator says:
IBU: 44
OG: 1.060
FG : 1.017
5.67%

Looks yummy. I made a Citra IPA with a similar recipe (bittered with Magnum, with Citra from 15 min to flameout and 3 oz dry hop...did use 1 lb corn sugar and Crystal 60 at 1/2 lb, though); took a bomber to my homebrew club's Christmas party - a bunch of BJCP certified guys enjoyed it, but said they wanted a little more malt presence. Overall, yours looks like a solid recipe! <3 Mosaic!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

If you are going for honey flavor, try a honey malt. I used some on a blonde ale, about 4 oz and it has nice kiss of honey flavor. Next time I might up it a couple oz just to see how much more comes through.

For the sweetness I know you can get some from the crystal malts and the honey malt like Sailingeric suggested. The honey itself would dry it out a bit I think. Maybe if you're bottle conditioning you could prime the bottles with honey instead of the boil or primary. Love me some Mosaic hops!

The recipe looks fine for a session IPA.

Personally, I like my IPAs to have a higher SG and FG, and a higher bitterness. Your IBU to SG ratio is in the range i prefer though. (~0.730)

What is your objective for adding honey and/or sugar? If you are looking to boost ABV, then just add more DME. If you are looking to add sweetness then i would not add either, but would add some dextrine.

Sugar tends to thin out a beer and add cidery flavors, in my experience. I see adding it to a beer when you want a higher ABV, but are already pushing higher SG. I would skip the sugar/honey and add 8oz of crystal to get to an even pound.

I am not sure if i understand your hop schedule -- 7 oz of hop in the last 10 minutes and then 2 more for dry hopping, but only 0.5oz bittering hop. You might want to cut your late hop additions by half and save those hops for another batch.

I'd second dropping the corn sugar altogether... put another lb of DME in there if you want. I added a pound of corn sugar to my APA and it dried it out terribly... still plenty drinkable, but not what I had in mind.

I'd second dropping the corn sugar altogether... put another lb of DME in there if you want. I added a pound of corn sugar to my APA and it dried it out terribly... still plenty drinkable, but not what I had in mind.

Maybe for an APA, but for an IPA the sugar is a good idea and would help the yeast fully attenuate rather that increasing the malt extract.

I would just imagine that you want a malty profile to balance out 9oz of late addition hop...adding sugar to an IPA that starts at 1.060 (with the sugar) could be making a brew that is dry and hoppy.

That's kind of what I was getting at... just made the mistake, and this recipe looks somewhat similar. Came off with way to much bite, cider-y type, intense hoppiness.

Thought it was over carbed at first, it was that dry and hoppy.

Don't get me wrong, I love intense hoppiness, but not if it's unbalanced.

Thanks for the replies. Based on what everyone is suggesting, I'll adjust the recipe.

1. Up the crystal to .75 or 1 lb.
2. Up the magnum (bittering) to 1 oz.

Maybe for an APA, but for an IPA the sugar is a good idea and would help the yeast fully attenuate rather that increasing the malt extract.
3. keep the honey the same 8 oz.

The new calculations are: 6.18% ABV (about where I want it)
57 IBU

Back