1st ever brew...I tried a swig a week in after a hydro reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskanmoosehunter

Reaction score
Ok, so this is my first homebrew. I went with a belgian ale and I think everything is going alright. It's from a extract, but I think my fatal flaw was pitching yeast way to hot. I ran out of time and had to run to work. Next time I will allow more time. The OG was 1.042 and now it reads 1.012. The ale instructions reads it's ready to bottle at 1.008. The wort wasn't the greatest taste (of course I wouldn't really know if it was good, never really taste tested flat, warm uncarbinated beer. I'm sure as time goes on I will know the differences). Smells like beer though. I'm thinking I should wait another week at least. Reading alot of posts here on the forum I would think I'd be better off waiting.

Question?

Let's say for example you read your hydro 3 days in a row, every reading says the same measurement. Ok, so your ready to bottle.

Would it hurt to let it sit for a few more days or weeks?

Ben

Technically, you would be okay to bottle. There are other things the yeast do besides lower your gravity....(make alcohol). They also clean up a few off flavors that are a by product of the afore mentioned alcohol making. That makes for a MUCH cleaner beer. You are only a week in, give it another week, or two, won't hurt anything. Could be the difference between good and great.

Let it sit 4 weeks in the primary, then bottle or keg. When i started doing this, things came out great.

Back