1st contamination shots... Bummer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisknight

Reaction score
Well, hells bells! My first contamination. I have been brewing for 15 years on and off, and those that know me, or have seen my videos know that I am completely anal about washing and sanitizing. This could be from my equipment, but I think rather it came from some 1056 cake I have had in the freg for almost a year now. Dang, this was a 1.065 to last through the winter. I dumped the whole thing out and threw the primary away... (Sigh)

contam1.jpg

contam2.jpg

contam3.jpg

contam4.jpg

contam5.jpg

I just had my first contaminated batch, too. I suspect it was a washed California lager yeast, but threw out my old plastic anyway. I had a lacto infection, and had my first dumped batch.

I guess that's pretty good odds, though- one batch out of hundreds. So, it could be worse.

Ya, seriously good luck. Definitely speaks to your attention to cleaning.

I've gotten in the habit of washing my yeast in chlorine dioxide as of late to prevent infected yeast cultures. It's 99.9% effective against bacteria and doesn't negatively affect the viability of the yeast like acid washing does.

It's $0.50/tablet if you buy Potable Aqua tablets on eBay.

you threw out your primary??? it was plastic right? if so i agree with tossing it just to be on the safe side. scratches suck.

Just watched your YouTube videos on kegging actually subscribed under my kids account G-Money. I did take notice how careful you were with sanitizing. I guess you can never be to clean!

Just watched your YouTube videos on kegging actually subscribed under my kids account G-Money. I did take notice how careful you were with sanitizing. I guess you can never be to clean!

I decided to go all grain after watching his videos 10 times
also helped with the kegging decision too

you threw out your primary??? it was plastic right? if so i agree with tossing it just to be on the safe side. scratches suck.

Ya, cheap northern brewer bucket... I'll probably replace it with a better bottle. All I have ever used is buckets, once they get old(ish) I toss em...

Yeah, those were fun making. I don't know that I will make any more. I got bombarded with emails and I couldn't keep up. I don't think I responded to video posts either...

Well Chris just to let you know, your AG videos are what made me go into AG, and hopefully for Christmas I will be getting a kegging system, so I've already watched your kegging videos twice. Thanks for taking the time to make those.

Why toss them? Just dull the scratches with a hot butter knife. If it HDPE it can easily handle 190 degree water. Change it a few time or go with heavy chlorine bleach and rinse thoroughly. But then again, I'm obsessive anti-sanitation and haven't had problems. I just go for a very healthy pitch of yeast and a fast chill.

Why toss them? Just dull the scratches with a hot butter knife. If it HDPE it can easily handle 190 degree water. Change it a few time or go with heavy chlorine bleach and rinse thoroughly. But then again, I'm obsessive anti-sanitation and haven't had problems. I just go for a very healthy pitch of yeast and a fast chill.

Na, there is a reason why I have not had any infections till now. I plan on sticking to my procedure. Why risk bringing contamination back into my brewery when the fix is cheap, and almost effortless? (rhetorical) If it were a BB or glass, I would attempt to save it/sterilize it. Have a look at a bucket that has been used a bit and you'll notice a ring type stain around the top level 5 gallon mark. If the plastic is able to retain stain, its able to harbor bacteria. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :)

Ya, seriously good luck. Definitely speaks to your attention to cleaning.

I've gotten in the habit of washing my yeast in chlorine dioxide as of late to prevent infected yeast cultures. It's 99.9% effective against bacteria and doesn't negatively affect the viability of the yeast like acid washing does.

It's $0.50/tablet if you buy Potable Aqua tablets on eBay.

Interesting...

Here is an article on the effectiveness of chlorine dioxide compared to a traditional acid wash.

Phosphoric acid did a good job of removing the gram-negative spoilers tested and reduced the Lactobacillus population by about 20 times. As impressive as this may be, it is unsatisfactory because the levels remaining are 180 times above those generally tolerated.

Chlorine dioxide appears to have cleared both slurries of bacteria quite thoroughly, even at the 13 ppm levels we achieved, without decreasing the viability of the yeast. This was accomplished inside of ten minutes, rather than over the two-hour period required for the acid wash.

It's important to note that neither approach is effective against wild yeast.

Chris, I must have watched your kegging videos about 20 times, no exageration! I also like the all grain videos.

When I am bored in my office I either re-watch your videos, or Bobby M's.

Thanks for the great info!

What's your process for using Chlorine Dioxide, step-by-step?

I add one Potable Aqua (chlorine dioxide) tablet to a diluted yeast slurry (~1 quart) and let it sit for 30 minutes (covered with tin foil). The gas is released during this time, killing everything except yeast.

Then, I proceed with a making normal starter. I rely on the stir plate to exchange any residual gas still in solution.

Northern brewer recommends a similar procedure.

To make myself feel better about the whole thing, yesterday i brewed a cream ale and a mild ale. Also got some better bottles. The dang stoppers wont stay in these things with Starsan on them. I used dry yeast for the 1st time also.... Or at least 1st time in a LONG time. I wonder if I should set up a blow off rig.

creammild.jpg

Man, that sucks about the beer you dumped. I must also say with everyone else here, your video's are the best and have helped me through my AG brew and have got me to want to keg! Thanks a lot for the videos!

Well Chris just to let you know, your AG videos are what made me go into AG, and hopefully for Christmas I will be getting a kegging system, so I've already watched your kegging videos twice. Thanks for taking the time to make those.

Yes, Chris, I must have watched your videos like 10 times in prep for doing my first all grain. That is the kind of homework I like :) Anyways, thanks, I owe you a beer :mug:

wow they really do grow tentacles. I thought someone was joking about that in another post, but nope.

Thanks for the vids Chris. They have been a big help to me as well.

Latest posts

Back