1st Brew Without Transferring to Secondary - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
Ok I brewed a batch and did not siphon and rack from the kettle to the primary, I just poured it in and left behind a little of the hop sludge.

It has been in the primary for 3 weeks now and today I am going to dry hop. My plan was to transfer to secondary and dry hop for 7 days then bottle, however I want to try something different.

After having read a lot of different posts, it seems that transferring to secondary is not necessary. So for this batch, I really want to leave it in the primary and dry hop for 1 week then bottle. The beer will have been in the primary for 1 month total. For me it will be a sort of test to see if there really is a difference if I leave it in primary, or if I transfer to secondary.

I have 1 question though:

Am I ok to leave it in the primary for dry hopping, considering I dumped the wort in and did not siphon to remove some of the trub?

All of my experience so far has been to siphon from kettle to primary, then siphon to secondary for dry hopping.

My thought would be that I could skip the transfer if I had siphoned and tried to leave behind some trub, but since I just poured from kettle to primary, would that effect dry hopping or bottle conditioning in any way?

Thanks for any advice/help.

Go ahead and dry hop. I don't filter trub and do not transfer to secondary. I haven't noticed any problems/off flavours. I think that whole filtering thing is overated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It should be fine. I have dry hopped right in the primary before with no problems. This batch I have fermenting right now will be dry hopped in a secondary (basically for the same reason you are doing it in primary) just to see if I notice a difference.

Awesome. From what I understand the only difference I should notice is that the actual beer may be a little more hazy or cloudy, which doesn't bother me in the least.

Does this sound accurate?

I've gotten crystal clear beers from primary. Just give the beer 3-7 days after FG is reached to settle out clear or slightly misty before 1 week dry hop. And one thread on the same subject is usually enough.

Most of my average gravity beers are done & clearing in 3 weeks. But the ESB I brewed with S-04 was done & mostly clear in 10 days. I gave ot 14 to clear a lil more before priming & bottling.

If you have the ability to cold crash, I think it almost takes the place of secondary and actually speeds the process up. If you have a ferm chamber that you can have set points, plan on dropping that temperature to speed up the "secondary" process which can be done in your primary vessel.

Back