1st attemp at a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyland

Reaction score
Alright I kinda just threw crap at the wall to see what would stick. Smelled and taste absolutely amazing right before pitching yeast. Its got a few more weeks in Secondary before I bottle and let it sit atleast another month. Here is the recipe, let me know what ya'll think:

2 LBS NOCTURNAL SELECT GRAIN BLEND (NB blend) STEEEP AT 154 FOR 60 MIN

BRING TO A BOIL AND ADD 6LBS NB MARRIS OTTER SYRUP AND 3LBS MUNTONS EXTRA DARK DME RETURN TO BOIL.

ADDITIONS:
60 MIN 1OZ US MAGNUM HOPS
30 MIN 1 0Z CENTENNIAL HOPS
10 MIN 1LB light brown sugar
10 MIN 2LB Golden Light DME
10 MIN 1LB DARK BELGIAN CANDI SUGAR
Bring back to a boil*****
10 MIN 1OZ US GOLDINGS HOPS
10 MIN 1 WHIRLOC TABLET
10 MIN 1/2 TSP OF YEAST NUTRIENT

STIR IN 1 0Z LIBERTY HOP PELLETS/1 OZ CHECK SAAZ (laying around wanted to get rid of them), AND COVER FOR 10 MIN THEN CHILL TO 65 DEGREES AND PITCH YEAST.
Srm estimated 40
Ibu 56.3

USE WYEAST 1728 SCOTTISH ALE YEAST
Initial starter was ½ cup light DME and 650ml H2O. Added ¼ Tsp. yeast nutrient and put on stir plate at 1700 1/7/14
Removed and refrigerated at 1900 1/8/14
Secondary starter: Decanted unused wort off of yeast starter left about triple what was in Wyeast bag. Used 1l water and 1c light DME. Added ¼ Tsp. yeast nutrient and put on stir plate at 1800 1/9/14 Had to turn off stir plate due to Krausen forming on top of starter pushing stopper out while off gassing. Turned stir plate back on 1500 1/10/14
2 WEEKS PRIMARY
8 WEEKS SECONDARY

BOTTLING USE 5OZ CORN SUGAR
FG With attenuation should be between 1.015 and 1.018

IG__1.108________

FG__1.019________
:mug:

Sweet man and congrats on the first recipe, it's definitely a tall beer at 1.108! Let us know how it turns out.

Back