1st AG this weekend - one question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peregris

Reaction score
I'm going to try brewing my first AG this weekend, after a month or so of putting together all necessary equipment - with a few real decent craiglist and ebay scores. Its just a Northern Brewer kit (British Bitter) with a couple of modifications, but I wanted to start cheaper in case it doesn't work out. All I have to do is fill up my BBQ propane tank to make sure I have enough. This brings me to my question --

I realize that it's probably different for each setup, the outside temps, wind, etc. but how much propane does a boil use on your standard turkey fryer setup. Is it a lot and you can only do one or two on a tank? Or is it surprisingly little and you can do a whole bunch?

I've done 6 thus far on this tank and I'm sure I have enough for at least one more. I heat my sparge water inside on the stove and only use the propane for boiling. I keep a spare tank though just in case.

I was getting 2 full brew days out of my standard grill tank and not feeling comfortable starting a 3rd. but then I noticed my air adjustment on my burner! DOH All the way closed. Should be more efficient next brew once I adjust it!

I think Baldy's results are fairly typical on the forum.

Yeah, I was going to do all my sparge and mash water heating on the inside stove and just do the boil outside. Thanks for your replies. My three-year old son just flipped over his tricycle and ended up in the emergency room with a split lip, so it looks like I may not be brewing this weekend, but hopefully soon!

Thanks again.

I get 5-6 brew days (5.5 gallon batches) out of one tank of gas. I also use the same tank to BBQ maybe 3-4 times. Works out to less than 2 bucks per brew for the gas.

Back