1st AG full boil BIAG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkline808

Reaction score
Pretty bummed, So today I did my 1st all grain BIAB and things went smoothly up till I took my OG reading. I was suposed to have a OG of 1.077 and ended up with an actual reading of 1.052. Not sure what went wong, any ideas?:confused:
Recipe
6# white wheat
6# 2 row
12oz crystal 10
12oz munich
12oz carapils
mashed with 4.5 gallons at 152 for 60m, dunk sparged with 3.5 gallons at 165 for 10m , boiled 7 gallons for 60m, 5.5 went into fermentor.

If I am doing beersmith correctly, it says the estimated pre-boil gravity would be 1.035. I'm new to beersmith. I just did my first two biab's and they both came in with higher og's than I was planning. I could be wrong, just my two cents.

How did the crush look? The quality of the crush seems to be the biggest factor in efficiency, the ability to get out as much sugars as you can. Since you were BIAB, your crush should have been very fine with lots of flour or corn meal looking. If it had pieces of grains, that is likely the problem. The real solution is to buy your own mill so you can control that. The temporary solution is to have your grains double milled.

@RM- I would say it looked more like crushed oatmeal to me.
@CP0 pre boil volume was 7 gallons (after mash and sparge) and post boil volume was 5.5 gallons into fermentor.

Im wondering if it was the amount of Wheat used?

Latest posts

Back