1st AG Finished - Some "?"s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloin

Reaction score
I made the jump to AG this past weekend and I have some questions about my process and possible results -

Here is the recipe:
11# Pale
1# Munich
12 oz. Crystal 60L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes
Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial.
Single Infusion for 90 minutes at 154 degrees.
Dry Yeast - Safale US-05
90 minute boil time

I got the starting mash temp at 154 - but over the 90 minutes, it dropped to 149. I know it has to be the lid on my cooler and i will compensate for that next time with some better insulation -
get 2.25 gal pulled off with first runnings - gravity of 1.090

I double batch sparged - my first sparge water only raised the grain bed temp to 156 - 2 gallons - gravity of 1.050

Second sparge raised the grain bed temp to 178 - 2.5 gallons gravity 1.026

total preboil volume 6.75g, preboil gravity - 1.055

post boil - 5.25 galons, og 1.065

based on the mash temp dropping, and my first sparge being too low, my second sparge being to high, what can i expect with this IPA?

THANKS!

...... what can i expect with this IPA?

THANKS!

Looks like, . . . . success!!! Looks good overall, maybe a tad dryer or less body from what you wanted, but will be good, assuming the rest goes as planned, . . . .and . . . .you remembered to pitch the yeast:D

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

I think it will be interesting to see what your FG is...You could possibly have a more fermentable wort given that your mash temp dropped.
I don't think the fact that you were under mashout temp on the first sparge will make that much difference...you also had a pretty long mash, and I've read that most of the conversion happens pretty quickly...there might not have been that much conversion left to halt...

I think it will be interesting to see what your FG is...You could possibly have a more fermentable wort given that your mash temp dropped.
I don't think the fact that you were under mashout temp on the first sparge will make that much difference...you also had a pretty long mash, and I've read that most of the conversion happens pretty quickly...there might not have been that much conversion left to halt...

the target FG is 1.016, so ill have to update you in a few weeks

90 min. is a long mash, I doubt anything substantial happened in that last 30 min at 151-149. Assuming it didn't drop to 149 right off the bat and stay there for 90 min. In other words, 98% of your conversion probably happened at 152-154.

90 min. is a long mash, I doubt anything substantial happened in that last 30 min at 151-149. Assuming it didn't drop to 149 right off the bat and stay there for 90 min. In other words, 98% of your conversion probably happened at 152-154.

i would agree with you... i didn't open the cooler at any point through the duration, so it was a gradual drop

I Kegged it yesterday and it finished out to 1.010

abv= 1.065 - 1.010 = .055 * 131 = 7.2%!!

it looks like it will be a bit dryer...

Latest posts

Back