1st AG Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwood

Reaction score
I completed my 1st AG brewing the other night and felt that everything went well. I'm concerned that there may be nothing happening. Below are my batch specs.

sacch rest @ 153F for 65 min
mash out @ 170F for 10 mins
Boil for 60 mins
Cooled wort to 74F
pitched yeast @ 73F
Wort temp has been between 72-73F since
I forgot to get an OG reading

I went out of town less than 24hrs after pitching and was gone a total of 30hrs, but never noticed any bubbling like in previous batches. There was some condensation in the airlock where there wasn't before. The down side is that it's in a bucket so I can't physically see if anything is happening.

Bad yeast? What are your thoughts? My thought is to ride it out to see what happens.

I appreciate any provided advice.

Without out your recipe is hard to estimate what the og would have been. What is the current gravity? Any krausen ring in the bucket?

Ride it out ... I've had batches that took 24+ hours before I noticed activity after pitching the yeast from the packet (I ferment in Speidel vessels so I can't see too much either). When I aerate the wort real good and use starters, then usually see something going on within 24 hours. I think when I've used lager yeast, it's taken longer to see results as well.

I completed my 1st AG brewing the other night and felt that everything went well. I'm concerned that there may be nothing happening. Below are my batch specs.

sacch rest @ 153F for 65 min
mash out @ 170F for 10 mins
Boil for 60 mins
Cooled wort to 74F
pitched yeast @ 73F
Wort temp has been between 72-73F since
I forgot to get an OG reading

I went out of town less than 24hrs after pitching and was gone a total of 30hrs, but never noticed any bubbling like in previous batches. There was some condensation in the airlock where there wasn't before. The down side is that it's in a bucket so I can't physically see if anything is happening.

Bad yeast? What are your thoughts? My thought is to ride it out to see what happens.

I appreciate any provided advice.

Bucket lids tend to leak. I.ve fermented many batches w/o seeing a sing,e bubble in the airlock. Crack the lid and check for krausen.

I did the Brickwarmer Holiday Red Kit from Northern Brewer and used WLP013 London Ale Yeast. The OG should have been 1.062

Upon further review.....there is a krausen ring.

I brewed the Brickwarmer for my first AG batch 2 weeks ago also. Just bottled yesterday. FWIW, I hit my gravity on the head and fermented at 68F - it finished out at 1.010 - excellent fermentation.

Mine didn't bubble very heavily either. As long as you are seeing krausen I think you are ok.

Let me know how yours turns out!

I brewed the Brickwarmer for my first AG batch 2 weeks ago also. Just bottled yesterday. FWIW, I hit my gravity on the head and fermented at 68F - it finished out at 1.010 - excellent fermentation.

Mine didn't bubble very heavily either. As long as you are seeing krausen I think you are ok.

Let me know how yours turns out!

Mine finished out at 1.015.....had the first one tonight..very good. The right beer to share for Christmas.

Back