1st AG brew suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostspring

Reaction score
Well actualy I need suggestions for my 2nd brew. My first will be a Bee Cave Haus Ale. After reading the many posts in the recipe section this one gets a lot of praise.
I am not a fan of wheat beers, my taste was Berghoffs Hefeweizen, not at all appealing.
I would like something not to difficult. I want to get the basics down before getting to complex.
I was thinking maybe a porter but have no brewing experience with them.

Does that mean the only hefeweizen you have tried is Berghoff's? If so, man you are missing a brave new world of beer. Try a Franziskaner, Bell's Oberon, Capital Wheat (since you may be near Madison, WI) or even a Widmer. Any of these will taste better than Berghoff.

That said, I have heard Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde gets some great reviews.

I will recommend an Irish Red Ale, ESB and possibly a Brown Ale. Anything with a single infusion mash is pretty simple and the hops schedules for these isn't to bad.

Personally a Heffe is my favorite, and IPA is too bitter for my taste.

Mabye an Oktoberfest, they are good any time of the year, I brew a double batch for October.

a porter would be fine for a 1st/2nd AG brew; single infusion works well for them.

I wouldn't do a wheat beer, wheat can be nasty when it comes to sparging.

You mentioned that you didn't like the 1 hefe that you tried and that you were thinking about a porter but do you have a favorite style or a few?

Do you like ambers, browns, fizzy yellow etc???

You already have an APA going so I would stay away from another bitter and go with something a little malty or more balanced at least to have some variety. What about an amber or brown ale?

Someone on here has a pretty good Fat Tire clone or tasty and jamil did a pretty good clone of moose drool you could brew.

Well I think I will go with a Porter. I will pick out one from the recipe section here. I do have a question tho. When a recipe says ,for example, add at 20min. Is that 20 min into the boil or with 20 min left?
I don't care much for the yellow fizzy.

Well I think I will go with a Porter. I will pick out one from the recipe section here. I do have a question tho. When a recipe says ,for example, add at 20min. Is that 20 min into the boil or with 20 min left?
I don't care much for the yellow fizzy.

For hop additions, this usually means 20 minutes left.

The times given in () after the hop type is the time the specific hop is actually in the boil. So if it says (20), you add it with 20 min remaining.

If it is (DH) then it is dry hopping, and specific times and placement are usually given.

Others who may know, what does the designation (0) refer to?

Latest posts

Back