18 to 24 month old 11.2% Horizon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifteenTen

Reaction score
I have some 11.2% Horizon hops (pellets) that I vacuum sealed and placed in the freezer some 18 to 24 months ago. I'm considering using them to bitter a Scottish 80/. Should I (A) not do this and use fresher hops; (B) use them as normal; or (C) use them but over shoot my IBUs a bit to account for age?

Thanking you in advance. FifteenTen.

Bitterness slightly subsides, but aroma vanishes.

You will likely get drinkable beer, but if you are shooting to make a specific style/recipe...I would use fresh.

I've used cheesy smelling old hops I've had for about 2 years and the results were a very mild hop aroma (no cheese) but they didn't seem to loose too much bitterness. Batch came out drinkable.

That's the thing about Scottish ale, hop flavor and aroma are supposed to be "none to low" according to Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers (Table 24.1; Page 284). Which is why I thought old hops would be ok for bittering using a single 60 minute addition but over compensating for BeerSmith's IBU calculations. With that said, I'm still a 2 year noob having just enough knowledge to make me dangerous.

as long as they don't smell bad/cheesy should be fine since it's just bittering. I've done it plenty of times & just overshoot the bitterness a lil, tho in a scottish ending up with lower IBUs isn't exactly much of a problem
here's an AA loss calculator you can try if you want to figure out roughly the current AAs: http://www.brewerslair.com/index.php?p=brewhouse&d=calculators&id=cal16

Back