18 Gallons of 1.093 Brew - S05 or 1056?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
Pitch rate would be 1135billion cells.

Just trying to decide if I should do 6 smakpacks of 1056 in a 6.8L starter...

...or if I should pitch 5 packs of S-05 (rehydrated)

This is for an imperial stout. Target FG is 1.018.

What do yall think?

do you have a craft brewery nearby? they would be happy to fill as big a container as you need with fresh yeast, that's what i do. no stepping up, no $$ worth of yeast. if not i would make a starter in a gallon jug and keep stepping it up or use the dry yeast.

do you have a craft brewery nearby? they would be happy to fill as big a container as you need with fresh yeast, that's what i do. no stepping up, no $$ worth of yeast. if not i would make a starter in a gallon jug and keep stepping it up or use the dry yeast.

I second that! I've done that a few times and the bartender thinks I'm crazy for wanting growlers filled with yeast lol

I would make a starter from one smackpack of 1056 step it up for 4-5days and use it, thats the cheapest solution (1.5lbs of DME $6 and smack pack for $6) and many people consider 1056 "better" than us05 (but im actually using 05 on my 1.1OG RIS:)

Take your time and step it up from a single pack, if you have a stir plate it is so easy. After you have done this you will see how easy it is to step and you will probably starter slanting or freezing and never buy yeast again.

Clem

no time to step... otherwise i would have. i just decided to do this brew so i only have a couple days now. only time for one starter.

i'll try to source some slurry. sadly, i'm not sure any of the 3 breweries in the area are using 1056.

You'd need 11 Wyeast or White labs packs. That's $80 in yeast. Or 4 packs on a 6.6L starter. ($35 or so)

Dry yeast you're looking at 5-6 packs. $4.5 each, that's $25

I'd go dry. S05 is a great yeast.

That's almost $50 just for the yeast if you pitch 6 packs of 1056. I'm with Clem, start farming your own yeast and building up starters in advance. Spend that extra money on grain.

I'd try the free brew pub yeast first, but given that the beer is a massive imperial stout with tons of roasty flavors etc.... Yeast flavors can't be but so prevalent (look away super tasters) I'd definitely go with the us05 rehydrated and let it chew through that beer at a controlled temp of your choosing while ramping up at the end.

In a big high gravity roast malt beer, I think using American Ale yeast whether dry or liquid will be quite similiar. Many others will disagree...:D

ya... let's be clear - i didn't plan this brew as much in advanced as i generally do. LOL. so i'm a bit stuck here in terms of options (i.e. no time to step up starters).

keeping fingers crossed for slurry. otherwise, i think i agree duck - in an imperial stout, with carefully controlled fermentation temps (i have a controller and heat wrap so no problem), i don't think any yeast flavors are going to make it through anyway. i'll go with the dry and plan ahead better next time. :)

Next time when planning ahead, just rack onto the yeast cake of a lower gravity beer after primary fermentation has completed. It is definitely your most frugal option.

check this out.... Ross from Walk About Brewing in Central Point, OR (I'd link to his website but he doesn't have one) hooked me up!! Half gallon of wicked-clean 1056 slurry!!

yest.jpg

check this out.... Ross from Walk About Brewing in Central Point, OR (I'd link to his website but he doesn't have one) hooked me up!! Half gallon of wicked-clean 1056 slurry!!

cool, i do that all the time at the brewery down the street from my house, drake's brewing. even the very first time i went in there they didn't hesitate at all, filled my erlenmeyer right up with a liter of fresh kolsch yeast.

That is awesome - love the brewing community helping homebrewers out!
:mug:

Latest posts

Back