173* Minimash - Keep brewing or start over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGengo

Reaction score
I'm about 45 minutes into my first mini-mash, an English Mild and came to realize that the thermometer I used to set the mash temp was off calibration by 19 degrees. I rechecked the mash with a properly calibrated thermometer and it read 173 degrees. From what I've read, amylase activity stops around 168*, meaning I have no conversion here, correct? And I may have significant tannins as well? Since we're only talking about a few dollars worth of grain, should I dump it and start over or proceed on?

Oh well, live and learn...time to dump that thermometer.

Thanks,
Chris

I'm about 45 minutes into my first mini-mash, an English Mild and came to realize that the thermometer I used to set the mash temp was off calibration by 19 degrees. I rechecked the mash with a properly calibrated thermometer and it read 173 degrees. From what I've read, amylase activity stops around 168*, meaning I have no conversion here, correct? And I may have significant tannins as well? Since we're only talking about a few dollars worth of grain, should I dump it and start over or proceed on?

Thanks,
Chris

I'd guess that you wouldn't get much if any conversion, but you'd get flavor and color from the grain so it might not be too much of a problem. You get the vast majority of the fermentables from the extract anyway. At 173, you may have risked some tannin extraction, but probably not too bad. Taste the wort and see how it tastes! If it's grainy/astringent/harsh and not even a bit sweet, you may want to redo. If it's ok, I'd proceed and see what happens!

Thanks,
Chris

It takes awhile for enzymes to denature. I would go with it.

Taste the wort and see how it tastes! If it's grainy/astringent/harsh and not even a bit sweet, you may want to redo. If it's ok, I'd proceed and see what happens!

Well, that makes sense. I tasted the wort and it was really sweet, no harshness at all, so I'm going to proceed on. I've got some extra DME sitting around so I can always bump the OG if it's too far off.

Thanks Yooper.

Back