16 year old hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We had a fridge die this weekend and as I was cleaning out its freezer I found this package of Fuggles hops that I'd completely forgotten existed.

The date of origin comes from the fact that its labeled as from Beer, Beer, and More Beer which changed its name to just MoreBeer in 2004 and also on the back there's an 08/04 stamp. Also I looked in all the recipes I'd brewed since 2013 in Beersmith and I haven't used Fuggles in that time.

They were vacuum sealed in 2004 however when I found them today the vacuum had failed. OTOH they have been in a freezer these long years. Its unlikely I'll brew with them but it might be interesting to see what they'd produce.

ffLb96y.jpg

p7p8Ym4.jpg

First of all, I would definitely brew with them. I'm sure somebody has some old extract of a similar vintage laying around, you could brew up a throwback smash beer. Old yeast too? Or am I pushing it?

You very well may be able to sell those for good money to someone who likes to brew sour beers.
I don't think so, aged hops need oxygen and ambient temperature to age, and sun if it's possible, that's how they do in Belgium, probably the OP fuggles are still too much for a sour because they have been out of light and at freezing temperatures and probably there was barely no oxygen in there compared to a paper bag that's what is used to age hops at home

First of all, I would definitely brew with them. I'm sure somebody has some old extract of a similar vintage laying around, you could brew up a throwback smash beer. Old yeast too? Or am I pushing it?

This kind of project usually ends with a proclamation of "This beer is amazing" from the brewer who has invested time in it.

This kind of project usually ends with a proclamation of "This beer is amazing" from the brewer who has invested time in it.
It would certainly be an interesting beer, as those aren't debittered hops as such so the expected profile will be different

I logged into Morebeer and found the order from September 2004. It is interesting to look at how much prices have increased since then. The 1lb of Fuggles was $15 then and is now $21.99. All of the dry yeast I bought then including lager yeast was less than $2 a package. I'm not sure what I was planning to do with 5 lbs of corn sugar but I hope it was worth it.

Thanks for all the suggestions on what to do with the Fuggles.

Account Information _ MoreBeer-page-001.jpg
Account Information _ MoreBeer-page-002.jpg
Account Information _ MoreBeer-page-003.jpg

I was curious about liquid yeast inflation so looked at an order from February 2003 which included two from White Labs. They're both $7.99 now.
morebeerfebruary2003.jpg

Last edited:
Back