150qt Coleman Xtreme Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapRoomBrewer

Reaction score
Hey all. I do 10 gallons batches currently, and I use the "mash in a bag" technique with a Coleman 70qt Xtreme cooler, and it works great. I'm looking to move to 20 gallons at a time to not brew so often, and I was checking out the Coleman Xtreme 150qt coolers. Anyone have any experience with these? Any drawbacks to just doubling the mash tun size? Thx.

Trying to get the bag out of the tun and drained off isn't a great time once batch size goes bigger. If you were to do a sparge you can do 10 gallon batches in a 70qt cooler pretty comfortably

Thx for the response. I'm already doing the 10 gallon batches with the 70 qt cooler. Love it.

I had considered the extra weight for the 20 gallon batches, but I've got a pulley system that can handle up to 250 pounds, as I recall. While heavy, I think I can manage that part.

Any other downsides?

Why do you need to lift and hoist the grain bag, just let it drain out the bulkhead?

With a decent pulley, hoisting a 20 gallon batch shouldn't be a big deal if you want to do that. Jmo

The lifting is more of a concern after the mash, just for clean up. But as I said, I'm sure my current pulley system can handle it.

So it seems that as long as I make a large enough batch with enough grains (to maintain proper temp), and as long as I can deal with the weight of the wet grain post-mash, then it'll be no different than my existing 70qt mash tun set up.

Thx for the help and input!

Back