Ss mash tun temperature hold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, kids! I recently picked up an Ss 20 gallon mash tun, and I can't get that rascal to hold temperature without resorting to HERMS... Anyone have any tips??

Are you using any insulation around it? Even some large bath towels should work if you have enough.

Though if you use a burner and have to turn it on to bring the temp up.....

Hi, kids! I recently picked up an Ss 20 gallon mash tun, and I can't get that rascal to hold temperature without resorting to HERMS... Anyone have any tips??
Hold temperature for what purpose for how long?

If you intend on maintaining the exact same temperature over a long period you need to have the mash tun in an environment that is heated to that temperature. If you want to maintain the temperature within a narrow range for one hour, insulation is the answer. If you want to maintain the temperature for the duration of the conversion of starches to sugars, you need to know how long that takes. Do you know that or are you just using the "one hour long mash period" as your basis?

I use a keggle mash tun, 15.5 gallons. I have insulated it as best I can with 2" of insulation on the sides and 1.75" of insulation on the top and it still loses 2 to 3 ºF over an hour. I do the best I can and call it good. Good luck!

Hi, kids! I recently picked up an Ss 20 gallon mash tun, and I can't get that rascal to hold temperature without resorting to HERMS... Anyone have any tips??W
When you say SS mash tun, do you mean just a stainless kettle or the SS Brewtech insulated mash tun?

Latest posts

Back