12v DC pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_Roqk

Reaction score
Okay, before I get anyone's panties in a wad. First of all I'm not an electrician and second of all I'm just wondering if this could be used for transfering "HOT" wort. I saw this in a Harbor freight store this morning and was thinking that this might work!? Just throwing this out there and wondering what the gallery has to say about it. Here's a description and a pic.

Compact self-priming pump is ideal for clearing bilges and other marine applications. Not for use with fuel or flammable liquids. Includes mounting bracket.
240 gallons per hour, 23 ft. total lift
Stainless steel pump housing
Dual threaded inlet: 3/8''-18NPT female and 3/4''male
12V DC, 65Watt, Amps: 7.5 start, 5 continuous; 10 PSI max; Impeller driven; Overall dimensions: 5-3/4''L x 2-1/2'' diameter; Weight:3.7lbs.

ITEM 9576-2VGA

$39.99

94639.gif

The fancy wort pumps use magnetically-coupled impellers so there are no bearings exposed to the liquid, meaning no way oil can leak into your wort. That pump is most likely direct-driven. You'd also have to see if there are any plastic parts in it that can't take the heat - the pump housing is stainless but other parts could be different metals or plastic.

My first guess would be that it's not suitable, or at least I wouldn't trust it at all until I'd had the opportunity to take it apart and see what everything was made of.

Check out this pump:
http://www.petrastechshop.com/lad5smcin12v.html
It's incredible popular in the water-cooling sphere, is magnetically driven (aka seal-less), has good pressure and lasts forever. The shop I linked to has excellent customer service, I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions for you (they pull apart pumps etc to look for ways to tinker with them) and I sincerely doubt that you'll find a better price.

Hope that helps!

Stainless housing and easy access for cleaning, both pluses. My only concern would be possible oil contamination. Generally, bilge water is pre-lubricated.

Back