FTSS Heating Pad and Pump questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40839

Reaction score
So I have a pair of 14 gallon SS Brewing BME chronicals. I also have about $800 in gift certificates to them, so planning on nabbing their glycol chiller to power the cooling coils. However, rather than using their FTSS controller, I'm in the final stages of putting together a dual chamber BrewPi system that'll operate on each one. (Had a BrewPi on my upright freezer that I used for a fermentation chamber, and loooooved it!) so didn't want to use their controller. But do need to figure out a suitable heating pad and pump - which I can buy from SS Brewtech for $50 a pop. (So total of $200 for two heaters and two pumps).

From looking around, I could save a bit of coin by getting things like reptile tape for heating, and a Harbor Freight pond pump, but the tape doesn't turn out to be that cheap when factored out for two 60w units (alas 3 feet of the 11" tape doesn't mount properly to the cone section, and don't want to wrap the upper section since I'll end up with layering, so with 3" tape I end up not far off the cost of the tailored to fit SS Brewtech pads) and the Harbor Freight pumps tend to drop dead of a heart attack every couple of weeks in my experience and need to be replaced.

So was wondering if those who have FTSS heating and cooling know the specs of their pump and pads? I know the pump is 12v, so assume the heating pad is the same? Does anyone know how many watts the pump draws? (Need to figure out what sort of power supply I need that can run two setups!)

Back