120V Heating element power cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrshaund

Reaction score
I have a bunch of computer cables laying around and was wondering if I could use one to power a 120v 2000 watt element safely.

See if you can identify from the cable and the plug what standard the cable conforms to and then look up the rating of that, that'd be the only way to be sure. IMO, I don't tend to stress about 2.5mm cable until I hit about 20amps, I'm sure you won't draw much more than 15amp and some change. I don't know if they work the same there, but if I can't find anything on the cable itself, we fuse plugs here so if I open it up and find a 13amp or 16amp fuse inside the plug from the factory I tend to assume that the cable is suitable for 20amps.

I use a 3kw element from a domestic water cylinder here for my modified boiler and it is entirely an off the label use at my own risk, but I'm pretty sure you should make the call on your own safety.

I have seen some computer power supply cords with 6A ratings on tags attached to the cord. I would be very careful about using them. I would rather make up a cord from UL approved items rated for the load.

I butchered a few computer cables for my pumps, and was shocked at how small the wiring was. 16-18ga, not something I'd run a heating element off of.

Harbor Freight has a 25 foot 12 awg cord on sale for less than $15. You can't buy the cable and ends for that much.

Bought one of these and returned it after seeing a 75 foot 12 awg at home depot for less than $20 with an additional 2' tri tap cord. I used a about 25 feet of cord for my brewery and also put a a plug on the remaining 50 footer.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5853244-Wor...r-Extension-Cord-2-Pack-19-Free-store-pick-up

Better price and quality at HD than HF IME.

Back