120V biab in 5gal Bayou classic. 2gal batch. Recirc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
I posted elsewhere about the space under the Bayou basket running dry during recirculate. This started after I swapped from paint strainer to a proper bag. Obviously finer and not draining fast enough to keep up with the pump. . My last brew I had some scorching smell before I realized what was going on. Question is am I using the correct element? Its a 1600W stainless water heater element. Would a different element not burn in this situation? I see talk of low watt density elements? I am addressing the issue with a false bottom, and slowing down the pump as well.

I posted elsewhere about the space under the Bayou basket running dry during recirculate. This started after I swapped from paint strainer to a proper bag. Obviously finer and not draining fast enough to keep up with the pump. . My last brew I had some scorching smell before I realized what was going on. Question is am I using the correct element? Its a 1600W stainless water heater element. Would a different element not burn in this situation? I see talk of low watt density elements? I am addressing the issue with a false bottom, and slowing down the pump as well.
Any element will scorch if the sump runs dry. Your other mitigation actions should help.

Brew on :mug:

Rice hulls in your mash will also help your stuck mash issue.

Any element will fry if run dry. Some will fry instantly others may take a second but all will fry.

Back