BIAB Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
2Gal, Electric RIMS kinda setup. 5? gallon Bayou Classic with basket.

Using a little 12v pump to circulate the wort. While I was using paint bag to hold grains, no problem. Recently upgraded to Wilser bag, and its a finer mesh. However, the pump drains faster than the bag can drain. The well under the basket, around the element ran dry and I suddenly got a scorch smell. I finished the mash, by switching the system on and off at regular intervals. The wort does have a slight scorch smell, but tastes OK. Its only 2 gal, so MEH. Problem is I think there are not enough holes in the basket to allow the slower drain from the Wilser bag. Besides a pricey stainless mesh basket, anyone else had this problem, and a solution?

Slow down the pump output w/ a valve or tubing clamp....

Try a BIAB false bottom from Brewhardware.com

your not the first to have this issue, the actual open area of a basket is not that large.

simple option is to ditch the rims, dough in and put your kettle in a warm oven to hold heat, but you likely don’t want to heat that lol

thanks

I feel all funny responding to a BIAB post right below Wilser and Bobby. for a 2 gallon batch, I agree with Bobby a bit more, I don't think there is much of a benefit of recircing. If you want to go the route of recirculating, get a valve between the pump outlet and the kettle and run it at about 30-50% open. You will find the sweet spot with some experimenting.

Latest posts

Back