12 yr old Eisbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior

Reaction score
I had two carboys in the basement for 12 years. The airlocks had gone dry and I didn't know what to expect of the beer. Nothing was growing on top and it was in the secondary. Being it was an 11% Eisbock I thought it might be okay. Tasted it two days ago and was very surprised. It had survived very well indeed. I kegged the 1st carboy yesterday and will be bottling this beer. The alcohol is evident along with the malt and some prune like fruit aroma. The alcohol flavor is smooth with a full malt body and flavor. Checked my old recipe notes brewed it on March 25, 2000. Racked to the secondary April 16, 2000. O.G. was 1.110, T.G. into secondary was 1.028. After 12 yrs it read 1.025 which makes for an 11.15% Eisbock.

When I think back to what I was doing and everything I've done in my life since March of 2000, and then think that this beer was sitting in your basement the entire time, I'm filled with a sense of awe and appreciation.

Well done. You have something truly unique.

About 2 years ago, I found a bottle of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout...
it was about 10 or 12 years old at the time. It was marked "limited edition brewer's reserve" (or something like that).

The odd thing was we had just recently finished a keg of it that took awhile to kick.
We weren't crazy about the keg because the alcohol taste was pretty intense.

When I found the bottle and realized it's age... I was very curious! I'm not sure I would
have the discipline to age it that long intentionally! It was not stored in any sort of climate
controlled conditions. I found it in the back of a closet with a variety of other beers in our
hunting cabin. So it got pretty warm in the summer and pretty cold in the winter!

Figuring that COULDN'T possibly have been good for the beer... curiosity won.
I will say this... that beer was AMAZING! So smooth, NO alcohol burn like the fresh keg.

After that experience, I've been building a bit of a collection of "BIG" beers that I'm aging
at cellar temps. I'll buy a case of something from time to time and put it away... drinking a couple when purchased and a couple each year to see how they change.

Your story is pretty cool, who'd of thought it would survived in not exactly the best "packaging". Once again, it goes to show... "you almost have to TRY HARD to wreck a beer!!!

Definately not planned to stay that long in the basement. Out of sight out of mind, and on and off again brewing over the past 12 years.

Almost hard to believe, but I believe you. This is somewhat astonishing. Quite remarkable, really. Very rare. Kudos to you, Sir.

I'm pretty sure I would have bottled that batch 10 years ago.

Almost hard to believe, but I believe you. This is somewhat astonishing. Quite remarkable, really. Very rare. Kudos to you, Sir.

I'm pretty sure I would have bottled that batch 10 years ago.

After it's fully carbed in the keg, it will be bottled.

Bottled 1st carboy today. 52 bottles after drinking and sharing a few samples. I think I'll save about 18 for entering some comps, turned out very nice! Now to keg the next carboy.

Back