12 Beers of Christmas - 2023 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taste tested the molasses vs. sugar primed gingerbread brown ale. Molasses smells good but has a strange aftertaste so going with sugar. Also learned I need to increase the spice tincture to get more of the gingerbread taste.
IMG_20231030_164615.jpg

I plan to ship after Thanksgiving, probably packing that weekend.

Checked gravity on the Lambic after the latest fruit addition and it is at 1.004. Should drop below 1.000 in the next week or two. Debating bottle conditioning vs. force carbing a keg and bottling. It's lightly pink, not heavily tannic, and tart-a mix of fruit and bug sours. It's about 8.5%.

I've never shipped beers before. Any recommendations would be welcomed...box size, packaging , etc. I'm using 12 oz long neck bottles. TIA🍻
Well, I'm a cheapskate as you can tell from my collection of boxes and roll of bubble wrap. I wrap each bottle with double thickness bubble wrap. Place 3 bottles in a box just big enough to hold all 3, and then stuff in more bubble wrap. Then seal the box with packing tape, on all edges. Other folks go much further.

The big deal, of course, is shipping. I have started using Shippo, which is cheaper than going straight to FedEx, etc. In fact, Shippo is just a label company - the packages are handled by FedEx, etc. but it is cheaper.

Last point, whoever you use to ship, if asked about the contents, do not say it's beer. The common thing is to say something like "yeast samples".

Well, I'm a cheapskate as you can tell from my collection of boxes and roll of bubble wrap. I wrap each bottle with double thickness bubble wrap. Place 3 bottles in a box just big enough to hold all 3, and then stuff in more bubble wrap. Then seal the box with packing tape, on all edges. Other folks go much further.

The big deal, of course, is shipping. I have started using Shippo, which is cheaper than going straight to FedEx, etc. In fact, Shippo is just a label company - the packages are handled by FedEx, etc. but it is cheaper.

Last point, whoever you use to ship, if asked about the contents, do not say it's beer. The common thing is to say something like "yeast samples".
I also either vac seal or plastic baggie each bottle or the interior of each box. If a bottle breaks, sometimes carriers won't deliver.

Back