12 Beers of Christmas 2020 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance I could get the Christmas Gruit for the West Coast? Haven't done any trading on here but have shipped beer to friends.

I'm going to pick up my ingredients this wkend and brew next.

Last time I did this event, my cherry dubbel had too many cherries and ended up tart. I had to rebrew. Glad I brewed early that time, so doing it again. Worst case, it ages in bottle for a year.

Also, brewing this time of year means I can have it on tap while the weather is still cold (though it's in the 80's today, gah). I'm going to brew up a 10g batch.

I'm going to pick up my ingredients this wkend and brew next.

Last time I did this event, my cherry dubbel had too many cherries and ended up tart. I had to rebrew. Glad I brewed early that time, so doing it again. Worst case, it ages in bottle for a year.

Also, brewing this time of year means I can have it on tap while the weather is still cold (though it's in the 80's today, gah). I'm going to brew up a 10g batch.

I will be doing the same this weekend. Brewing a dubbel to test for the cherry beer. I might split the batch to do half with cherries and half without to both get a baseline and test the cherries.

I will be doing the same this weekend. Brewing a dubbel to test for the cherry beer. I might split the batch to do half with cherries and half without to both get a baseline and test the cherries.

The "without" version I made was super awesome! In truth, the cherries ruined it, for both early and delivered batches. I hate to tell you that, but if you can make a batch for yourself, don't add cherries!

Less cherries is best. I went overboard and ended up feeding my back lawn with it.
I just brewed a Belgian dubbel and set aside 3 gal to do on tart cherries. I saved your recipe from the swap a few years ago as my baseline. For the three gal, I used four cans of tart cherries in juice, which really didn't do too much. I ended up adding another 24oz of cheribundi tart cherry juice as well. I'm bottle conditioning now, the gravity sample was pretty good. Subtle cherry flavor without being cloyingly sweet or overpowering...I'm hoping the bottle conditioning will help add a bit more yeast character and aroma as well and I think it will come together well.

While we are talking recipes, if I were to brew the spiced weizenbock again I would use just a little more of the spices, subdued is nice but just a bit more would say holiday beer. Perhaps if your spices are ultra fresh or freshly ground it would be enough.

I just brewed a Belgian dubbel and set aside 3 gal to do on tart cherries. I saved your recipe from the swap a few years ago as my baseline. For the three gal, I used four cans of tart cherries in juice, which really didn't do too much. I ended up adding another 24oz of cheribundi tart cherry juice as well. I'm bottle conditioning now, the gravity sample was pretty good. Subtle cherry flavor without being cloyingly sweet or overpowering...I'm hoping the bottle conditioning will help add a bit more yeast character and aroma as well and I think it will come together well.

For my 2019 Dubbel, I used 6lbs 8oz sour cherries and 8 lbs Trader Joe's dark cherries for a 5 gallon batch. While I liked the perception of the cherry flavor, I was disappointed to lose some of maltiness I was hoping for. If I was to brew it again, I might try adjusting the grain bill for more malt flavor in the end rather than reducing the cherries.

While we are talking recipes, if I were to brew the spiced weizenbock again I would use just a little more of the spices, subdued is nice but just a bit more would say holiday beer. Perhaps if your spices are ultra fresh or freshly ground it would be enough.
Good to know! I'll keep that in mind for mine.

I just checked my notes for Batch #1. For a 5g batch, I used 14.5# of Oregon-brand tart (Montmercy) cherries. The gravity of the beer BEFORE adding the cherries was 1.058, and I estimated the cherries would add 10 additional points. Although this was my target gravity, I thought it was too low for the style. Final gravity was 1.008, and it was pretty tart.

Batch #2, again 5g, came in at 1.095 before adding cherries. Instead of cherries, I added 32 oz. pure black sweet cherry juice (not tart). Final gravity was 1.019 (abv = 10.5%). "Cherry juice is just right. I can taste it, but it is not powerful. Beer seems extremely spicy due to, presumably, the high alcohol". I have another note that says "not cloying", though I would prefer to shave several points off that final gravity - seems a little high. I'd suggest shooting for somewhere in between, perhaps around 8% final ABV.

A pic of Batch #1, still in fermentor, and the result of #2.
upload_2020-1-11_12-24-43.png
upload_2020-1-11_12-24-50.png

I just checked my notes for Batch #1. For a 5g batch, I used 14.5# of Oregon-brand tart (Montmercy) cherries. The gravity of the beer BEFORE adding the cherries was 1.058, and I estimated the cherries would add 10 additional points. Although this was my target gravity, I thought it was too low for the style. Final gravity was 1.008, and it was pretty tart.

Batch #2, again 5g, came in at 1.095 before adding cherries. Instead of cherries, I added 32 oz. pure black sweet cherry juice (not tart). Final gravity was 1.019 (abv = 10.5%). "Cherry juice is just right. I can taste it, but it is not powerful. Beer seems extremely spicy due to, presumably, the high alcohol". I have another note that says "not cloying", though I would prefer to shave several points off that final gravity - seems a little high. I'd suggest shooting for somewhere in between, perhaps around 8% final ABV.

A pic of Batch #1, still in fermentor, and the result of #2.
View attachment 661372View attachment 661373

I used 4# Rainier and 1# Sour cherries in 4 gallons of Dubbel this year. I would add some caramel malt to get residual sweetness if I did it again and more sweet cherries.

Some great tips with the last few posts! Since we are talking recipes, has everyone that has done the dubbel previously used Mosher’s recipe?

It sounds good but I’ve got 5lbs of dark candi syrup that is itching to be used. Some is ear marked for my westvleteren clone but I feel like a dubbel might be a good use for it.

When it comes to cherries, I prefer a 50/50 split between sour and sweet. My $.02

Enough of these opinions, and someone might be able to buy a gumball.

Some great tips with the last few posts! Since we are talking recipes, has everyone that has done the dubbel previously used Mosher’s recipe?

It sounds good but I’ve got 5lbs of dark candi syrup that is itching to be used. Some is ear marked for my westvleteren clone but I feel like a dubbel might be a good use for it.

I think I based off of JZ’s

@Hoppy2bmerry I ordered from homebrewing.org, they used to be my LHBS and I still use them online often. They are sold in 2 gram packs but with free shipping it beats any other prices I have found.

So far Ive ordered almost a half an oz over the last few years and ill find a small twig every now and then but it doesnt bother me much given there are very limited suppliers.

After reading some of the thoughts on this thread and doing my own research, I picked up a couple bottles of this at Aldi. It may end up being too sweet, but I’m shooting for very mild cherry flavor.

Adjustments.JPG

Hoping to brew my first iteration of the dubbel soon to gauge my process. After much more consideration I have decided to use the averagely perfect recipe from beer advocate.

Question on the recipe for Juniper Rye Bock.

I'm planning on doing a small test batch (which will double as a starter for the main batch because my WL Copenhagen Lager yeast packet is a bit on the old side).

Anyway, the color is listed as "deep amber", but I'm not sure where that color is supposed to come from.

Here's the grain bill and other additions:

Recipe:
9.5 lb Munich Malt (62%)
3 lb Pilsner Malt (19%)
2 lb Malted Rye (13%)
1 lb Rice Hulls
4 oz Juniper Berries, crushed (added in the mash)

Hops & Spices:
2 oz Hallertau (3.5%AA) 90 Min
2 oz Juniper Berries, crushed 90 Min
2 oz Juniper Berries, crushed 0 Min

Juniper berries are dark: is that where it's coming from? maybe it's the longer boil?

Also, the percentages on the grain bill add up to only 94% I notice on another of the recipes they add up to 103%.

Thoughts on any of this?

Marlee and I brewed my 2020 12BOC caramel quadruple this morning. Part of the recipe has you melt down a bunch of malt extract and sugar into a thick caramel syrup. It gets dark and develops this pretty awesome flavor. Belgian Abbey II yeast starter getting pitched in a few minutes.

View attachment 665937

View attachment 665938

Wow. Yeah, you just had to get a picture of THAT!

Question on the recipe for Juniper Rye Bock.

I'm planning on doing a small test batch (which will double as a starter for the main batch because my WL Copenhagen Lager yeast packet is a bit on the old side).

Anyway, the color is listed as "deep amber", but I'm not sure where that color is supposed to come from.

Here's the grain bill and other additions:

Recipe:
9.5 lb Munich Malt (62%)
3 lb Pilsner Malt (19%)
2 lb Malted Rye (13%)
1 lb Rice Hulls
4 oz Juniper Berries, crushed (added in the mash)

Hops & Spices:
2 oz Hallertau (3.5%AA) 90 Min
2 oz Juniper Berries, crushed 90 Min
2 oz Juniper Berries, crushed 0 Min

Juniper berries are dark: is that where it's coming from? maybe it's the longer boil?

Also, the percentages on the grain bill add up to only 94% I notice on another of the recipes they add up to 103%.

Thoughts on any of this?
Without any actual detective work on my part, the following spews forth:

Juniper berries are dark, and could possibly "stain" the beer. Very unlikely, however.

Munich comes in several forms. ~4L, ~8L, and someone makes a extra dark Munich that I think is 30L.

Just passing along halfassed personal knowledge, so you have somewhere to start investigating. Good luck!

Marlee and I brewed my 2020 12BOC caramel quadruple this morning. Part of the recipe has you melt down a bunch of malt extract and sugar into a thick caramel syrup. It gets dark and develops this pretty awesome flavor. Belgian Abbey II yeast starter getting pitched in a few minutes.

View attachment 665937

View attachment 665938
How much did you start with and how long did it take for the syrup? Asking for a friend..

Without any actual detective work on my part, the following spews forth:

Juniper berries are dark, and could possibly "stain" the beer. Very unlikely, however.

Munich comes in several forms. ~4L, ~8L, and someone makes a extra dark Munich that I think is 30L.

Just passing along halfassed personal knowledge, so you have somewhere to start investigating. Good luck!

Duh, dark Munich! Now that you bring it up, I guess I've never thought of that as a base malt, but I guess it is. Dang, I have a ton of the lighter Munich in stock. Maybe I'll just make this a little lighter than it's supposed to be. Hmm...

How much did you start with and how long did it take for the syrup? Asking for a friend..

2# table sugar, 2# Golden Light DME, and just enough water to make a slurry out of it. That's for a 10g batch. I guess you could use liquid malt extract, but I didn't have that.

Then just heat on low and stir until it changes to that dark color. At some point it expanded to almost overflow the pan. I made this days before I needed it - just left it in the pan and stuck in the fridge. On brew day, I reheated on the stove, then it dissolved easily by adding a bit of the boiling wort to the pan.

She's a'bubbling away in the fermentor now.

After reading some of the thoughts on this thread and doing my own research, I picked up a couple bottles of this at Aldi. It may end up being too sweet, but I’m shooting for very mild cherry flavor.

View attachment 665961

I’m afraid that will be very very mild, I’ve used organically produced concentrate with good results... just sharing information.

I do appreciate the feedback. I’m still working on it so I will definitely take that in to consideration. Thanks!

2# table sugar, 2# Golden Light DME, and just enough water to make a slurry out of it. That's for a 10g batch. I guess you could use liquid malt extract, but I didn't have that.

Then just heat on low and stir until it changes to that dark color. At some point it expanded to almost overflow the pan. I made this days before I needed it - just left it in the pan and stuck in the fridge. On brew day, I reheated on the stove, then it dissolved easily by adding a bit of the boiling wort to the pan.

She's a'bubbling away in the fermentor now.
One of the Westvleterian12 clone recipes calls for doing that. Ahead of time is the way to go. Thanks for the reply.

Back