12 Beers of Christmas 2019 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled a sample; it's coming along.
IMG_20190502_130857.jpg

It is aging in the background (Co2 blanket) while I am brewing a secondary batch to blend in. I hope to have both blended together in a month and then the spice tincture thereafter. It's at 7.5% right now...should be closer to 8% by the time it is done/done not including whatever little bourbon gets into there by then. Anyways, just sharing an update :)

IMG_20190517_142224.jpg

It is aging in the background (Co2 blanket) while I am brewing a secondary batch to blend in. I hope to have both blended together in a month and then the spice tincture thereafter. It's at 7.5% right now...should be closer to 8% by the time it is done/done not including whatever little bourbon gets into there by then. Anyways, just sharing an update :)

View attachment 627115

Looking forward to it. And I'm glad you took steps to make sure that sample you pulled did not fly away.

Looking forward to it. And I'm glad you took steps to make sure that sample you pulled did not fly away.

Pfffft, flat warm beer...mmmmmmm heaven *blah* - taster though

Anyways, I know it's borderline too burnt firewood for many, so I am working the blend in to tame it a little bit. I anticipate the spices and bourbon to then round it out. I bottled three of them today to see where they're at right now to know how much blending I should do. One is a small bottle so it should carb a little quicker (usually I get away with a week) whereas the other two are white and brown sugar (respectively) to see which I want to bottle with. I've toyed with the idea of brown sugar, but I have yet to try it for priming. We'll see if there is any difference and go from there.

Anyways, it's coming along : )

View attachment 627115

I picked up the bourbon (knob creek small batch) and grey goose vodka today. Hoping to make my tincture this weekend and then sample in a week or two.

After participating the last 2 years to me it seems like the anise over powers the spices so I don’t plan on adding any at this time and I’ll see how that works out.

I picked up the bourbon (knob creek small batch) and grey goose vodka today. Hoping to make my tincture this weekend and then sample in a week or two.

After participating the last 2 years to me it seems like the anise over powers the spices so I don’t plan on adding any at this time and I’ll see how that works out.

That partially my concern, too! Anise is strong...no sure how I'll manage that either. Keep a bottle or two and we'll swap when the dust settles, mmmmmkay.

Brewed up the group 2 juniper rye bock on Sunday. Ended up hitting 1.084 and 90% efficiency with the system. All went well and now things are fermenting happily along! Some photos:

IMG_1803.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

Cheers to brewing Christmas beers in May!! [emoji481]

Beer labels created and sent off to the printer...probably spending more on labels than bottles, eek! Oh well, hope they turn out as nice as they look on my computer :)

I took a little creative freedom in mine. I more-or-less followed the spice recipe except for some mild tweaks. It'll be interesting to compare. Are you following the directions religiously?

Yes except I’m not adding the anise. I think it is overwhelming. Depending on how the sampling goes maybe I’ll add a lesser amount or skip completely

I brewed the Saffron Tripel for Group 1 (East). I decided to go with 2g of crushed seeds of paradise in the whirlpool along with 1oz of Hallertau from 180° down to pitching temp in about 1/2 hour. Pitched the 3787 at 66° and I've been ramping it up to 72°. I'll let it go another week or so before bottling. I plan on steeping a gram of Saffron in the priming sugar water. I'll give it a taste at bottling time to see if I need to add any more grains of paradise, but I doubt it, as I picked up a peppery/coriander flavor in the wort.

After a bunch of other ideas, I found that using a long slicing knife made quick work shaving 3lbs of sugar off of the brick of jaggery.

Hey all, I am afraid I have some sad news. Brother Pete had his last call June 3, 2019. No joke. (Pete's obituary.) Trying to help out my sister in law to tie up all the loose ends and, well, there was this.

I intend to help my nephew, Ryan, brew the Honey Ginger IPA. Ryan has followed in his father's footsteps to become an attorney and may yet assume the mantle of homebrewer, as well. I just retired so I intend to brew the summer away...

No pity party. Just thought it appropriate to tell those involved in this arrangement of the change in circumstances.

Hey all, I am afraid I have some sad news. Brother Pete had his last call June 3, 2019. No joke. (Pete's obituary.) Trying to help out my sister in law to tie up all the loose ends and, well, there was this.

I intend to help my nephew, Ryan, brew the Honey Ginger IPA. Ryan has followed in his father's footsteps to become an attorney and may yet assume the mantle of homebrewer, as well. I just retired so I intend to brew the summer away...

No pity party. Just thought it appropriate to tell those involved in this arrangement of the change in circumstances.

@HopHeavy I’m very sorry for your family’s loss. Sounds like Pete was a stellar family man. God bless.

My condolences.

Condolences...

I brewed the east coast Saffron Tripel. I added grains of paradise to the whirlpool. When I tried the beer before bottling, I couldn't detect any GoP. I bottled with jaggery sugar, saffron and more GoP. I don't think any saffron threads made it into the bottles, but I did have to clean out the spring loaded bottling wand a couple of times. I couldn't help myself and cracked one open, Big hit of saffron on the nose and a bright yellow orange tinge to the color, I couldn't detect GoP. I have them carbonating at 75° to make sure the 3787 doesn't go to sleep.
IMG_1844.jpg

Hey West Coast group!

Token Canadian here.

I finally managed to source all the weird ingredients for the Christmas Gruit! I am going to brew it next week after a visit to get the malts and hops for the base recipe from a homebrew shop when I am visiting Milwaukee over the weekend.

I setup a business shipping address at a drop shipper in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan to send and receive from. Looking forward to this. Already setting up a tasting party with friends.

20190801_163615.jpg
20190801_163620.jpg
20190801_165254.jpg
West Coast Group -
After 5 months in the primary, I transferred the Lambicky onto cranberries today. Couldn't find any good crab apples. :(
Let the brett work on those for 3 months or so, then I will keg it up. Sample tastes pretty good. Maybe a touch more bitter than I wanted but I suspect that will go away.

BTW, is this group full? The front page hasn't been updated and shows a few empty spots.

Seeing all the shared pictures is giving me motivation. I have a couple events coming up, and surely will get my Christmas brew going, before August is done. Cheers!

@MapleGroveAleworks are all the slots still filled, or has anyone dropped out and not been replaced?

Is there anyone out there who hasn't started their beer and is now having second thoughts about getting it done? I'm thinking there is still a little time for someone to step up and brew a beer if life has just gotten too busy for anyone. I'm really hoping that all 12 beers get made in both groups this time around.

My Cherry Dubbel (West Coast) is bottled and aging. I still need to make some labels.

@MapleGroveAleworks are all the slots still filled, or has anyone dropped out and not been replaced?

Is there anyone out there who hasn't started their beer and is now having second thoughts about getting it done? I'm thinking there is still a little time for someone to step up and brew a beer if life has just gotten too busy for anyone. I'm really hoping that all 12 beers get made in both groups this time around.

My Cherry Dubbel (West Coast) is bottled and aging. I still need to make some labels.

I haven't started the gingerbread ale in the east yet, but will get it done next month. It's just a brown ale with the spices added, and I have my recipe formulated. I didn't want to brew it too early & have the spices fall off. Thought I'd post since I haven't been very active here lately.

Mine goes on cherries this weekend.

I’m brewing the Abbey Weizen in the west. I made a batch earlier this year to see if I was on the right track. That turned out to be a tasty enough brew, but not very holiday-ish. I’m going to brew another batch in a couple of weeks and split it between two fermenters so I can try 2 different yeasts and two different combinations of spices and adjuncts. I’ll settle on the final recipe and brew the “keeper” in early October.

This is a style that shouldn’t really need to age, so I don’t anticipate going down to the wire. :cool:

Back