12 & 24 boxes for beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can't find a place that sells 12 pack/case boxes with separators for my bottles/bottled beers. You seem to have to buy them full of new bottles to get them at all. I noticed yesterday when I bought a 12 pack of Leinenkugel's summer shandy that it not only is a sturdy box,but it has separators as well. Great lakes has a sturdy 12 pack box as well,but since I got it from the LHBS with used bottles,Idk if it had separators or not.
Anyone seen new empty case boxes with separators? Lacking that,What other brands meet this criteria? It was handy that the leinenkugel's are twist offs,just pitch'em when empty,& used the box for the mountain of bottles I have already.

Can't say I'd know where to get them at retail. Ask friends and/or neighbors. Maybe check the net for a box company. Could always make them too. Run to the closer beverage store to see if they sell singles, they may have boxes and dividers in the back.

If the box is big enough use 6-pack carriers inside the big box. That's what I used to do before I cut up all my 6-packs for a future arts and crafts project.

They look nice,made from that plasticized cardboard stuff I've seen. But at $96 for 8 cases,that is a little pricey. Darn nice,though. Idk,maybe. I don't have a lot of money to spend,being retired...

i get em free from work. if you work somewhere that uses those computer dusters 'canned air' thingies, they come in twelve pack boxes with nice thick cardboard partitions. i have two dozen of em. they work great for standard twelve ounce bottles.

Try a liquor/wine/beer store. Should be able to get 12-pack style wine cases with dividers which are a good size for 22oz beer bottles, and empty cases/6-pack carriers for 12oz bottles.

The 12x12oz packs are a bit hard to come by without just buying them to drink.

Why don't you go to Home depot, buy 5 pieces of wood, and nail them together in the same dimensions as a 12 pack or 24 pack container. Then add the cardboard dividers. Should cost you about $20.00, and will last pretty indefinitely.

http://www.cwcrate.com/

A little pricey but the quality is awesome. I have to stack my bottles in a tiny closet and milk crates were driving me crazy, these saved the day

+1 Although I don't think they are all that pricey when you consider the quality and utility. They are waterproof and very durable. Should last for many years with reasonable care. I bought 4 when they were offered initially and I plan to buy some more. They also have cases for 22 oz bombers if desired.

I give C & W Crate a thumbs up.

The beer guy at my grocery store is a homebrewer, he'll grab me an empty case of whatever size I need. My LHBS has empty cases from the bottles they sell. Trader Joes always has lots of empty cases of 2 buck chuck.

Some of the guys told me I have a trader joe's around me. But never said where?...Guess I'll have to check out the liquor store over in Avon Lake where they know us. My son works at Giant Eagle,as the frozen foods manager. Maybe see what he says? That,& buy a few more 12 packs of Great Lakes & Leinenkugel's. Any other brands y'all can think of that have sturdy cardboard 12 packs with separators?
I saved 2 boxes from the Stroh's 30 packs of cans,since they can hold more bottles. I got rid of 2 pop cube boxes,& one (forgive me beer gods)miller 12 pack box. They're thin & some were torn. At least for now,I have 3 fewer boxes. Trying to chop down the size of the mountain next to me...

Your local package/liquor/wine/beer store always has used boxes around and some with individual dividers. I've always found them to be free.

I'll be checking those places. I have to count how many bottles I have all total,then divide by 12 & 24 to find how many will be needed. Not to mention,how many 5 & 6 gallon batches they'll service to see how many batches worth I have as well. More bottles may be needed to round out that total.

A little pricey but the quality is awesome. I have to stack my bottles in a tiny closet and milk crates were driving me crazy, these saved the day

They look nice,made from that plasticized cardboard stuff I've seen. But at $96 for 8 cases,that is a little pricey. Darn nice,though. Idk,maybe. I don't have a lot of money to spend,being retired...

I have seen these advertised in BYO. The one selling point they almost captured me with is they are watertight plastic so you can just pour ice over the bottles!

I like attending the beer tasting classes at total wine around here. After wards I ask for the pop top bottles and all the cardboard cases. I don't really need the bottles any more since each class yielded 4 cases of pop tops, but I still ask (and recieve) the cardboard cases.

You might want to see if there is anything similar near you!

I have about 15 of the plastic milk crates from a dairy distributer. They each fit 5 rows of 5 bottles perfectly. They do not get soggy when wet and the bottoms don't fall out. You can stack them as high as you want as well. They are also the absolute perfect way to store a glass garboy. I reccomend you get chummy with somebody that works at a grocery store and get some of them.

i love these things, as soon as i saw them i knew they were the right tool for the job and ordered four 12oz and four 22oz. i expect them to last for years so i think it's money well spent.

Some of the guys told me I have a trader joe's around me. But never said where?...Guess I'll have to check out the liquor store over in Avon Lake where they know us. My son works at Giant Eagle,as the frozen foods manager. Maybe see what he says? That,& buy a few more 12 packs of Great Lakes & Leinenkugel's. Any other brands y'all can think of that have sturdy cardboard 12 packs with separators?
I saved 2 boxes from the Stroh's 30 packs of cans,since they can hold more bottles. I got rid of 2 pop cube boxes,& one (forgive me beer gods)miller 12 pack box. They're thin & some were torn. At least for now,I have 3 fewer boxes. Trying to chop down the size of the mountain next to me...

Widmer boxes are pretty nice (and, imho, the beer is too!). Someone gave me two cases with (empty) bottles in them.

Some of this stuff I wish there was just a way to communicate about. I would love to be able to tell someone who drinks those cheap gallons of wine that I want their old jugs, but I haven't been able to. How can I just tell someone random that? But probably tons of them get tossed. Same with beer bottles/boxes. I have three swing tops I snagged from someone's recycle in a city I used to live in. I can just imagine how many of them get destroyed at the recyclers.

True,but then people would flood fleabay & CL with boxes of used bottles for sale. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Just get the empties from a liquor store. Ask nicely and spend some money on other stuff when you go in to pick them up.

We do this every year for our competition and need enough to hold nearly 1200 bottles (don't have quite 600 entries but you end up with empty slots after sorting for categories).

Budweiser used to have extremely nice case boxes. I'm always envious when I see those at a competition and wish my club (these were before my time) had been smart enough to save a few dozen of them.

+1

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I just received some of these plastic crates and got to say they are fantastic. My old heavy cardboard crates have gone end of life and these C & W crates should easily outlast them by many more years.

I love how I can fill the cases with dripping wet Star San soaked bottles and know it wont hurt em at all...over and over again.

Pricey? Yes at ~12 bucks a pop, but a "one-time" purchase that works.
A really nice solution that will last.

Since my son started drinking craft beers,he saved me a bunch of craft 12 pack boxes. I've since replaced most of them with Lienenkugel boxes with separators. Now I have plenty of botles in smaller easily stackable boxes. got two case boxes as well. would like to replace most of the 12 pack boxes with case boxes though. it never ends. I even started rinsing & saving bottles I don't need to save anymore for whoever wants them.
The 12 pack boxes also come in handy for various car chemicals too.

Started buying cases of Bud just to get the case boxes a couple months ago. Sure makes bottling day easier with only a couple boxes to fill.

Back