12-12-12 Showdown Wee Heavy vs. Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12-12-12 Belgian Quadruple vs. Scottish Wee Heavy

• Belgian Quadrupel

• Scottish Wee Heavy

Results are only viewable after voting.
... So wouldn't that make this a great time to do it? When we have everyone's resources/knowledge? Although not scientific by any means, it might also show a bit about procedures.

It takes some serious yeast management, temp control, nutrients and recipe tweaking to make a very tasty beer north of 10%.

I would say this is even more true for a Wee Heavy than a Belgian dark strong. While you can get away with some off flavors in a big Belgian - due to high esters, character malts, and sugars - any thing 'off' in a strong scotch is instantly noticeable. Wee heavy is not an easy style to brew well. You have little esters, almost no hop character, and ideally just a lot of very clean, caramelly malt. There is little room for mistakes here. Water profile and fermentation control are going to be paramount to making this a good beer.

I'm all for brewing a Scotch, though it might not be the friendliest style for a "community brew."

I get that, but I'm not envisioning super high ABV for the wee heavy, maybe 8-10%. Getting to 12% is a bit more of hurdle. With the brew date set in or around December the difficult thing people might have to deal with are clean water and proper amount of yeast. I figure with the colder weather in December fermentation temp can be controlled by heating the fermentor at low to mid 60s in a garage with an aquarium heater. That should prove easier than keeping a beer cool in summer temps for most.

Closed my eyes and clicked - Wee Heavy. This is a good thing since I have 10 lbs of Golden Promise looking for a home...

I'm cool with a Quad too - they were my top two choices in the initial poll.

I get that, but I'm not envisioning super high ABV for the wee heavy, maybe 8-10%. Getting to 12% is a bit more of hurdle. With the brew date set in or around December the difficult thing people might have to deal with are clean water and proper amount of yeast. I figure with the colder weather in December fermentation temp can be controlled by heating the fermentor at low to mid 60s in a garage with an aquarium heater. That should prove easier than keeping a beer cool in summer temps for most.

Keeping a beer cool for me in the summer is way harder than warming in the winter. My wife has grown to enjoy the sounds of fermentation in the warm bedroom :)

The first wee heavy I brewed turned out ok but my technique was missing boiling a small amount of wort to carmalize and I believe this is what my wee heavy is missing.

How about a brief rundown for those of us who have never participated in this game? How many bottles are sent out? When? How do you even mail a bottle of beer? How specific is the recipe? Yeast? Mash/fermentation temps?

What are the rules, man? I don't want to vote and skew the results if I won't be participating anyway.

I voted for the Quad. After trying La Trappe Quadruple Belgian ale i fell in love. One of the 7 Trappist ales left. But i wouldn't mind brewing either one.

Back