11 Gal down to 5?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the brewing experience and have found several recipes that I can see making in the future. Most of them list as making making 11 gallons at a time and I currently only have the equipment to make 5.

My questions are these: :confused:

Is there a formula for cutting a recipe down to make only 5 gallons?
Is everyone making larger batches and therefore I am alone in my learning?
Am I just missing how the recipies are listed?

Thanks for your advice, recipies, and wisdom. Already I have learned much about this wonderful process.

I have a British Bitter in the bottle and a stout in the secondary right now. Just waiting for everything to age or settle a bit and then sample away.

You can find Beer Smith here: http://www.beersmith.com/

As Ryan mentioned download it. You will be able to use the free version for awhile then purchase it fo rlike $20.00.

You will learn to seek it out for many, many brewing activities. BTW - it also has a database of beers to brew.

or you could just multiply each of the ingredients times 5/11 ...... but good brewing software will be a necessity soon enough, so you might as well bite the bullit.

Go download BeerSmith and play with it, you won't be disappointed. Once you really get into brewing you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Many thanks to everyone. I downloaded the software last night and played with it a bit. I am not real sure how everything fits together but I wil work through it.

Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale and BierMuncher's Aberdeen Brewery - Session Haus Ale both look simply super and something I would like to try. To do so the recipe needs to be broken down to my level.

I'll get there with a home brew in my hand and a smile on my face. :mug:

Latest posts

Back