11 days since yeast pitch, hefe style ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jestmaty

Reaction score
Never saw one airlock bubble. Silent fermentation? No fermentation?

When racking, after 1 week in primary, it smelled good(ish), had a nice trub at the bottom of my bucket, good amount of krausen along the sides of my bucket all the way to the underside of the lid. I pitched Danstar Munich into 76* wort, put it in my fermentation freezer set for 60-62*F. For the first few days, my strip thermometer along the side of my bucket read around 72*.

Then, it slowly dropped to around 64* when I decided to rack. My concern is that I didn't see one burp or bubble and I'm home all day, so I was able to check a few times each day.

Is it possible to have such a low gravity after only 11 days, 1 week in primary, 4 days in secondary? Hydrometer is reading 1.001-2 after a starting gravity of 1.044.

Wednesday will be 2 weeks since I brewed this batch....

IMG_1023.jpg

Well, my last tripel went from 1.081 to 1.011 in about 5 days or so, so yes it's easily possible.

The Hydro doesn't lie....
A similar thing happened to me with a Kolsch a few brews back, but the FG was right on, and it turned out great. Hefe yeast is usually VERY active, so it might have been a leak in your lid.

I've got a bucket that showed itself to have a tempermental seal. Beers would ferment out in it and never bubble. It's now my starsan bucket. Bubbles aren't proof of fermentation, the hydrometer is.

Was this a all grain batch ? If so my guess is that you mashed low somewhere in the 147-148 range. To get a gravity that low you had a very fermentable wort but to answer your question yes you can easily finish a ferment in 11 days no problem take a taste is it good ? Don't second guess our hydrometer If it says it is done. Regarding no bubbles in the airlock you probably have a bad seal on the bucket lid.

Was this a all grain batch ? If so my guess is that you mashed low somewhere in the 147-148 range. To get a gravity that low you had a very fermentable wort but to answer your question yes you can easily finish a ferment in 11 days no problem take a taste is it good ? Don't second guess our hydrometer If it says it is done. Regarding no bubbles in the airlock you probably have a bad seal on the bucket lid.

Thanks to all for such quick info and support. This is my 3rd batch of all-grain brewing solo. Been brewing all grain since about Sept of last year, but always with my experienced neighbor. We still brew, he just does it about once a month, I like about every 10 days.:ban:

Temp of the mash was actually a bit high... I like 152-3*F, but this was closer to 157*. I do batch sparging and I accidentally looked at an old water amount that was about 40 oz or so too much. In other words, I accidentally used 4.75 gallons of sparge (old recipe that also yielded low gravity and extra wort) instead of 4.4 or 4.5 gallons. About a quart too much agua.

My first two batches, identical to each other except batch one used Danstar, batch 2 used WB-06. Both bubbled aggressively, this 3rd batch never burped one fart bubble.

Here's my fermenter, although it's a terrible angle for a pic :drunk:
IMG_0987.jpg

Back