10G batch people. Describe your setup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
I'm straight out of LHBS with my setup. 8G kettle, 10G Igloo, "210,000 BTU" banjo burner. It gets cooking for sure. Looking to step up production so I can fill two kegs per batch. I think the burner will make it, obviously I need a kettle but what about Mash tuns and fermenters?

I was looking at this thing:
http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/All-Coolers/120-Quart-Polar

15 gallon HLT, 15 gallon Mash Tun, and 18 gallon kettle. All stainless and direct fired with the same 210k btuh burners. Currently using 2 - 6.5 gallon primaries but am looking at a 60L Spiedel fermenter or two. I have a large fermentation chamber that can hold two of the Spiedels as well as a small fermentation chamber that can hold the 2 - 6.5 gallon carboys. I usually do 10.5 gallon batches.

Damn. That's a lot more hardware than I was trying to get into. I forgot to say that I tear down on brew day. No dedicated rig that stays together.

I'm guessing you have a HLT and three burners because at some point the necessity arose?

3 keggle set up. Pump, plate chiller. I ferment in Sanke kegs. I use BG14 burners (2) all rigged with natural gas

1403895340275.jpg

1403895379232.jpg

3 keggle set up. Pump, plate chiller. I ferment in Sanke kegs. I use BG14 burners (2) all rigged with natural gas

Komo, do you have any problems with boil overs with your keggles? I'm getting ready to do my first 10g batch in a week or so and I cook in Keggles as well, just wondering so that I can be prepared to prevent/clean up a mess :)

photo-1-61865.jpg

This is an older pic of my inprogress build. based on 15 gallon kettles, will be tight on the boil but I shold be ok.

I hope to be up and running by Aug. And have a few more picks of the setup this weekend.

Tim

If I could only have a 16cuft kegerator.

I use a commercial sanke keg kegerator as my ferment fridge.

I do BIAB, in a Keggle, easy to make 12 gallon batches. (if I was doing it over again though I would buy a 25 gallon pot)
Then ferment in sanke kegs under pressure.

BIAB would be easy for you or 2 vessel with your cooler and you could tear it down and stash it.

good luck
Kevin

13.2 gal hlt, rectangular 48-52qt(not sure on size) cooler and 15gal kegel+two NG wok burners, one pump and CFC+lots of carboys from 6.5gal to 5

This is what were working with. Don't be jealous y'all ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403899539.742633.jpg1-15.5 gall brew pot ( custom built) 1-10 gall mash tun ( it's a squeeze) and 2-8 gall hlt's. Two propane turkey fryers gets it done

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Komo, do you have any problems with boil overs with your keggles? I'm getting ready to do my first 10g batch in a week or so and I cook in Keggles as well, just wondering so that I can be prepared to prevent/clean up a mess :)

Nope. Sometimes I will use fermcap. If you don't know what that is, look it up. Makes the foam completely disappear. I use when I have a 13.5 gal boil, and also in starters as it reduces Krausen. Cheers

I currently use 3 keggles, and have only had boilovers when I'm not paying attention and/or do something stupid. I usually do 11 gal batches to make sure I fill 2 kegs to the top (they hold over 5 gal, probably more like 5.25) and I also ferment in Sankey kegs as there is plenty of headspace and I've never had one blow off.

I used to use a 10 gallon cooler for mashing, and it will work fine up to about 1.060 beers, or 1.065 if you go a bit thick on the mash and go right up to the brim, but I considered the max grain bill to be about 25lbs and that brings it right to the tippy top. Any bigger OG and you'll either have to make less volume or extract to make up the difference.

20 Gallon Blichmann BK, 15 Gallon Blichmann MLT, 15 Gallon Spike Brewing HLT. (if I had to do it again, I'd buy a 20 Gallon MLT and HLT). Chugger pumps, inverted Hop Rocket hard plumbed to my Therminator to act as a filter. Blichmann burners under the HLT and BK, really old turkey fryer burner under the MLT so that I can run a direct fire RIMs in a situation where I can't use my heat tape RIMs setup. I ferment in a 13 gallon stainless milk can, ferm chamber is just a 5 cubic foot chest freezer with an STC 1000+, and a paint can heater for temp control.

I use a direct fired RIMS single tier/3 burner system with two pumps. MLT is a 15 gal. MegaPot 1.2 two w/3piece valves and a recirc port also using 3 Blichmann adjustable thermometers, HLT is a 15 gal MegaPot 1.2, BK is a 20 gal MegaPot 1.2 with a whirlpool port. Therminator plate chiller and Hop Rocket.

Recently upgraded from 5 gal batches to 10 gal batches. Bought three MegaPot 1.2's with only the valve and thermo holes drilled so I could add my own valves, thermometers and get a couple of more holes punched for my recirc port and my whirlpool port.

The biggest shock has been having to double the quantity of my ingredients...I'm still getting used to that. But with a couple of hundred pounds of grain and 15 pounds of hops....I've got a ways to go before I have to replenish my stock.

Same amount of work....twice as much beer!

20140323_171933_resized_1.jpg

here is what i have a 70qt cooler mash tun with DIY copper manifold, 15 gallon kettle, 8 gallon kettle (heat my mash water), cheap turkey burner works great, shirron plate chiller. wish list .. pump.. doing 10 gallons i like to split the batch and pitch two types of yeast. so you sometimes can make "two different beers".

Hey Ron,
Have you considered making two batches, one fermentation?

That's the way the big guys do it.

There's info on the process out there. One of the things I've read is you need a starter for the entire 10gal.

Both batches don't have to be on the same day either.

'da Kid

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403972854.756937.jpg
This was taken a few days ago. Last night I mounted the pumps and made most of the connection hoses. Hope that I can mount the last element and wet test this weekend.

Specs: 3x15 gallon pots eHERMS with 2 chugger pumps heated by 2x5500w elements. Controlled by a 2 PID control panel

Hey Ron,

There's info on the process out there. One of the things I've read is you need a starter for the entire 10gal.

'da Kid

This seems to be the procedure for my inaugural (and possible last) 12.5 gal (48L) batch. I am really only equipped for 5 gal batches on account of a stovetop restriction. I did an ordinary batch that gave me about 1.080 (target 1.056), then a parti gyle but instead of the typical setup where you'd make a second batch I added it to the first instead of top up water. My gravity was at 1.060 afterwards and still needed a bit of water to hit the target, but much more volume of beer. If it matters I pitched into the 1.080 in the evening and did the second boil and chill the next morning. Still smelled like sweet mash so I don't think I soured the thing. About to keg that later today.

Equipment:
10gal false bottom mash tun (max 10.5kg @ 2.5L/kg if memory serves)
2 large stock pots
Crappy electric stove
54L (~14 gal) demijohn. Don't plan on moving that bad boy when it's full

Hey Ron,

'da Kid
I have. Mashing and boiling are the biggest time consumers. That would make a 5 hour brew day into an 8 hour brew day. It makes sense as a large brewer because the time it takes to cool the first batch can be used to get your second batch going. In a perfect world you could pipeline the two back-to-back. I suppose I could do this if I purchased another kettle. Then while the one is chilling wort the other could be heating water.

I have 30 gallon stout kettles. I can run 10 to 20 gallon batches with them. I usually run 10 gallons in a shot and put it into (2) 6 gallon better bottles. I ordered my brewhemoth conical and should have it soon. That will let me brew 1/2bbl in a shot and ferment it in one vessel. Beers like my mild get brewed in larger batches.

I am about to ramp up production for my wedding and I'll be brewing 20 gallons at a shot. One keg for home drinking and 3 for the wedding.

Something I learned long ago is build it as big as you possibly can and then go a bit more. Also it also seems like tun space is the limiting factor. You can use fermcap on a big volume boil or use something else to add hlt capacity but the tun is hard to increase capacity without spending quite a bit.

I have a three tier gravity feed system. Keggles with false bottoms and soon to be adding a herms coil and pump.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404061669.685061.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have this cooler as my mash tun.

I have this as my HLT.

And this is my boil kettle.

All have 3/4 inch stainless ball valves with 3/4 inch camlocks from proflowdynamics. And I have a chugger pump with the plastic head to move all the liquid around. I'm still trying to dial in my setup. I have a brew planned in 2 weeks. Hope I hit my numbers this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 Tier HERMS system with 15gallon MLT, HLT and BK. I could do with a 20G MLT for big beers, I've exceeded the 'can I mash it' threshold on some ambitious beers.

Round 10 gallon igloo cooler, 15 gallon stainless kettle with 1/2" valve, couple 5 gallon pots for HLTs and a monster mill. I have a few normal turkey frier burners I use as well. Nothing fancy but makes 11 gallons of good beer in about 4 1/2 - 5 hours.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404299009.401086.jpg

Ron, you mentioned doing 10 gallon brews but you said that you only have an 8 gallon kettle. I'm confused.

9 gallon bayou kettle, standard size rectangular cooler for mash tun and batch sparge.

When doing 10 gallon batches I will do what's referred to as 'high gravity brewing' and dilute before pitching yeast.

Works really well for session beers that you might want a lot of on hand.

Look up Randy Moshers article called 'lazy mashing' where he describes his process which is no sparge but you can easily get 10 gallons out of an 8 gallon pot.

My setup is super ghetto and really only good for 10 gallon batches that aren't super high in ABV.

10 gallon igloo mashtun.
15 gallon Concord kettle outfitted with hardware from brew hardware.com
Chugger pump (found out the hard way I cannot lift (safely) 10 gallons of wort to use gravity to feed into carboys.
SP-10 burner
10 gallon bayou classic as HLT (that doubles as my 5-gallon induction setup kettle).

I heat strike water on my SP-10 using my 10 gallon kettle. I pump it into the mash tun using my chugger pump. I finish heating the rest of the sparge water while I mash in and wait. I drain into my 15-gallon kettle then batch sparge. I kick the 10 gallon out of the equation and finish mashing & draining then boil. I clean the MT while boiling. I then sit down and drink some more while boiling.

dscn0313-56565.jpg

Three kegs, with a bottom draining HLT and MLT. Two pumps.

It's all electric, HERMS.

I used my 10 gallon igloo cooler up until about 2 years ago(?) but it maxed out at about 23 pounds of grain so I was limited to 1.065ish 10 gallon batches so went with the keg for an MLT, and the bottom draining at that time (and a tippy dump).

dscf5836-50595.jpg

dscn0313-56565.jpg

Three kegs, with a bottom draining HLT and MLT. Two pumps.

It's all electric, HERMS.

I used my 10 gallon igloo cooler up until about 2 years ago(?) but it maxed out at about 23 pounds of grain so I was limited to 1.065ish 10 gallon batches so went with the keg for an MLT, and the bottom draining at that time (and a tippy dump).

dscf5836-50595.jpg

Yooper
Any issue with element rust

Basic, simple, all manual basement electric using 2000w heatsticks. I either batch sparge using a 48 qt. cooler, or BIAB. Several kettles ranging from 11 - 24 gallons allow flexibility. Occasionally I do a 1/2B, 15.5 gallon batch BIAB, and my typical batch size is 1/4 keg, 7.75 gal. The gallon pitcher under the kettles is my poor man's pump :)

Most of my kettle collection

This is my new 12 gallon batch system. I just built the brew stand and last Wednesday, brewing two back-to-back 12 gallon batches was time consuming but awesome at the same time!

4 - 10 gallon igloos (2 HLT+2 Mash tuns)
1 - 20 gallon brew kettle
4 - 6.5 glass carboys

With this setup I can brew two base recipes and end up with four different beers in four kegs. Check it out:

10511212_677477438966940_3149254041413376246_n.jpg

10367819_670533552994662_627586931386562869_n.jpg

10352743_670533769661307_6252365331137464866_n.jpg

my typical batch size is 1/4 keg, 7.75 gal.

If you don't mind me asking, do you ferment in 1/4 kegs or 1/2? I am looking to ferment in 1/4 kegs and I presume 6 to 6.5 gallons is about the volume I should ferment in those. That would mean if I went with two fermenters I should do 12-13 gallon batches?

If you don't mind me asking, do you ferment in 1/4 kegs or 1/2? I am looking to ferment in 1/4 kegs and I presume 6 to 6.5 gallons is about the volume I should ferment in those. That would mean if I went with two fermenters I should do 12-13 gallon batches?

I typically ferment in stainless kettles, then rack to a sanke keg for serving.

70 qt cooler with bazooka screen mash tun
15.5 gal kettle
10 gal hlt/grant
Chugger pump
DIY counter flow chiller
SP10 burner

I batch sparge, heat sparge water in bk, drain Mash to the 10 gal, transfer sparge water to mash tun, pump first running so to bk, then collect second runnings.

No grain bill limitations.

Basic, simple, all manual basement electric using 2000w heatsticks. I either batch sparge using a 48 qt. cooler, or BIAB. Several kettles ranging from 11 - 24 gallons allow flexibility. Occasionally I do a 1/2B, 15.5 gallon batch BIAB, and my typical batch size is 1/4 keg, 7.75 gal.
You ride the unicycle while brewing too? Busy guy! :mug:

I am in the process of building something like this:

IMG_2016.jpg

Brand new all the parts for the stand will be about $200 and will go together with no tools

I will have a burner on the high up shelf for the mash tun and gravity feed.

For a parts list its:

54" Poles
1x (2pack) http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honey-Ca...Poles-2-Pack-SHFPOL2-C54/203215863?quantity=2

36" Poles
1x (2pack) http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honey-Ca...Poles-2-Pack-SHFPOL2-C36/203215857?quantity=1

24" L x 14" Wide 350lb capacity shelves.
4x http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honey-Ca...-Steel-Shelf-SHF350C1424/203215757?quantity=4

the top shelf can be up to 54", but I may lower it down a bit depending on my gravity feed.

Other than that I will be using 3x 15G stainless heavy duty kettles from more beer and 2x blichman burners.

Back