1099, 1098 or 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristiismean

Reaction score
I really want to try wyeast 1099 Whitbread, but.... Nervous. This will be a standard ESB, 13 lbs Maris, 12 oz crystal 60, 5oz crystal 120. 1 oz fwh cascade, .5 oz fuggle 20, .5 oz fuggle 5. This will ferment at 68 ambient.
So, will 1099 give me what one looks for in an ESB, or play it safe with 1098 or 1968?

1099 is not the same as S-04, it is the Whitbread A strain which is fruity, clean, and lacks the tart-lactic character that you get with the B strain (1098, S-04).

1099 will make a fine ESB, although it will lack the diacetyl and sweetness one gets from 1968.

I am of the opinion that S-04 for "English" beers is for people who've never drank English beer. Save it for IPA's, there are many better options out there.

Forgive me,
Was not aware of the types of strains.
I really like the s-04, particularly when used at lower temperatures.
And I have drank my fair share of English ales.

I switched the recipe around, but figured since I'm going imperial on this beer. (8+%) that I might as well try it and report back. Thank you for all the info!

1099 gets my vote as my favorite english strain. It's got a bit more fruit and dryness than 1968 but leaves more residual sugar for better body than 1098. So I find it more balanced.

since "Life" I brewed this on the 26th, 1.074 is my OG, so will see what it get's down to.

also 1.5 oz goldings at 60
1 oz delta at 20
1 oz delta at flame out

hoping switching to those hops was not a mistake, but either way, still in style... we will see!

since "Life" I brewed this on the 26th, 1.074 is my OG, so will see what it get's down to.

also 1.5 oz goldings at 60
1 oz delta at 20
1 oz delta at flame out

hoping switching to those hops was not a mistake, but either way, still in style... we will see!

What did you end up using? The 1099?

1099 is not the same as S-04, it is the Whitbread A strain which is fruity, clean, and lacks the tart-lactic character that you get with the B strain (1098, S-04).

1099 will make a fine ESB, although it will lack the diacetyl and sweetness one gets from 1968.

I am of the opinion that S-04 for "English" beers is for people who've never drank English beer. Save it for IPA's, there are many better options out there.

Do you have a source for this? Not questioning, just curious.

The principal source for Whitbread identities on the home brew side is George Fix, who wrote about the two dried Whitbread yeasts in an All About Brewing article from 1992. There was also an email correspondence with a production manager of Fermentis who confirmed the origin of the two Whitbread strains, ie, S-04 is Whitbread B.

Also, both the Siebel Institute and Crosby and Baker sold dried Whitbread yeasts back in the late 80's/early 90's, and they were forthcoming about what the strains were and how they got them. Is is only within the past 10 years that yeast companies are tight lipped about yeast origins, understandably.

Edit: Wyeast description for 1099 back in the day.... 1099 Whitbread Ale Yeast (Not 1098 British ale yeast from Whitbread)
- A mildly malty and slightly fruity fermentation profile; not as tart and dry as 1098 and much more flocculant. Clears well without filtration. Flocculation high; apparent attenuation 68-72%.

That's a bit harsh, as a lot of British commercial breweries did use Whitbread B in one form or another - it was a very brewer-friendly yeast in a commercial setting. But I know what you mean.

Other ones for the list would be 1768/WLP033 the Young's yeast, WLP026 the Marstons yeast and WLP023 for which there's no story that I really believe but it seems to give good "English" results. I think 1768 would be really interesting in a NEIPA.

1099, ended up at 1.012. So 8.14%. Happy with results. Kegged, carbing now. Has a very clean taste. If in northern Chicago land. Welcome to try it next sat at growmasters..

Glad it turned out well for you. I find 1099 to be quite versatile. In the yeast strains I've tried over the years, it has a very flexible range of performance. If you adjust your mash temp, that yeast can give you a fairly dry beer at low temps, and nice big mouthfeel at high temps. And its ester production responds well to temperature changes. It's pretty darn clean at low temps for an English strain, but gives you the option to ferment warmer and give some pleasant esters. I use it as my house strain and I love it.

Back