1007 & Fast Maturation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Wyeast says this is strain makes beers that "mature rapidly." Does this refer to the lagering phase as well? Search results have been limited to people's problems more than their actual experience with it on a timeframe basis.

What kind of results has everyone had lagering this strain for a month or two vs a beer you'd normally lager 4+ months?

I'm brewing a Biere de Garde tomorrow and I want to plan for pipeline distribution.

This is timely... I just put a 1007 on the stir plate about 10 minutes. I also am planning a Biere De Garde for tomorrow.

Never used this yeast.

Seems like there are a lot of 1007 users out there, based on the tons of responses this thread has received.

I made an Alt with 1007 a while back. 6 weeks in primary at 60F followed by 4 weeks "lagering" at 40F then into a keg. It was great at that time but got REALLY good after a month in the keg.

Well my Biere de Garde is fermenting like crazy at 61 degrees.....

We will see how it turns out in a couple of months....Planning a month in primary and then crash, bottle condition...

I did 8 gallons (split 4 and 4) of bock. Both fermented at 57ish. I bottled one at 3.5 weeks, and was very drinkable at a week and a half in the bottle. So, yes, it matured pretty quick. Not true lager clean, but nice. I like 1007.
The second 4 gallons got racked into a secondary and is sitting in my basement. Its been doing that for about two weeks now. We will see how it turns out after some bulk aging. This is one thing I have come to enjoy about this hobby. Put in a few hours today and then bottle in, meh, whenever I get around to it!

1007 is a beast. I've never used it before, but I think I'm going to like using it quite a lot on my big beers. First time i've ever had to use a blow-off tube. It started going crazy after just a few hours. I'm really hoping it'll finish clean and clear for my altbier

Back