1000lb to 600lb in 1 day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo103

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. I kegged my first beer yesterday . The style called for carbonating with 20lns of pressure so that's what I set it to. When I git the tank it read 1000lb in the tank but this morning it reads 600 and is in the buy gas zone almost . This seems like a lot if co2 to lose over one night. I thought it might be a leak but I don't hear or feel any air being released. Any ideas?

Hear and feel isn't good enough. A pinhole leak will empty a 20# tank in 24 hours. You have to leak test with soapy water or sanitizer that foams.

My tank sis the exact same thing your did on the first day of kegging. There was a pinhole leak in the quick disconnect I found with soapy water. 1/4 turn with a wrench and it was fixed.

the high pressure gauge will read roughly the same pressure untill all the liquid CO2 in the tank is used, and the tank is 98% empty. only then will it start to drop.

this gauge really only tells you if the tank is almost empty or not. do not use it to see what % is remaining, it cant tell you that.

I put a warm tank in a cool fridge what would that do to the pressure

IIUC, It condenses the liquid in the tank thus reducing the pressure in the headspace. Your tank will read ~600psi until the tank is empty.

Pull the tank out and let it warm up and it will go back to the ~1000psi reading.

My 20 lb. tank will read 600 lbs. (get gas soon) until it reaches 0. It is stored in the kegerator.

I had a feeling that's what happend Checked it and it has no leaks . Can't wait to drink our first kegged beer. We have been bottling for a long time.

What Gila said. CO2 is a liquid. It's filled by weight, not pressure.

The physical state depends upon the pressure and temperature. If it was all a liquid it would have no pressure. As the temperature goes down, the number of molecules in a gaseous state goes down and the pressure drops.

Freshman chemistry, IP.

OT _ How are you enjoying Tennessee?

Latest posts

Back